I Killed my Battery

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I must have left something turned on the Boat because my two month old battery is Dead. I tried charging it but the charger will not even start the charge. I guess because the battery is too low. Its a Walmart Marine Starter Battery.

What can I do to bring this battery back to Life. Should I try jump starting the boat and try to charge the battery that way. Have I ruin the battery by letting it drain that low.

Thanks for the help.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: I Killed my Battery

I must have left something turned on the Boat because my two month old battery is Dead. I tried charging it but the charger will not even start the charge. I guess because the battery is too low. Its a Walmart Marine Starter Battery.

What can I do to bring this battery back to Life. Should I try jump starting the boat and try to charge the battery that way. Have I ruin the battery by letting it drain that low.

Thanks for the help.

Wait a min......I used to live in Chandler.....I don't remember snow in Gilbert!!!

Um.....
my two month old battery is Dead
Just take it back to Walmart! Tell'm it won't hold a charge and get another one!!

Cheers,

Rick

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to leave the boat unattended for long periods of time, disconnect the negative lead from the battery!!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought about taking it back to walmart. Yes it was my fault but what the heck. I spend enough money there so I shouldn't feel Guilty.

So anyway even if I get it to charge should I trust it?

I'm guessing its been total discharged for two weeks.

Snow in Gilbert. Maybe Not but Its my discourage people from moving here and over populating my once under populated town.

Thanks for the Replies.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to leave the boat unattended for long periods of time, disconnect the negative lead from the battery!!

Well it was two weeks since I had the boat out. Good Advise.

Also I need to add to my post launch list is to turn off all accessories. I believe the Depth finder was left on.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, don't feel bad.....I left the lights on in my diesel suburban for a few days and it KILLED BOTH batteries! They were about 5 years old so I didn't even try to charge them......(they might have charged though.....)

but Its my discourage people from moving here and over populating my once under populated town.
Hmm.......I think you're a little late!!:p

I still own a condo in Chandler.... Everytime I go there I don't recognize the place!!!!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I moved to Gilbert 11 Years ago. Loving the Open spaces and Farm land. That Changed rapidly.

Anyway should I go ahead and get a second battery. I think that would just be a peace of mind as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If yo don't have a charger, take it to a gas station and get them to charge it. You can jumo and try to charge withthe engine but it will take a lot of running to know it's fully charged.

Consider a Perko battery switch so with one flick, everything is off. There is also a ground disconnect knob you can hook up that does the same thing but you don't have to pull the cable off each time, and worry about a loose ground after it gets worn out. overall, thogh, it's better to disconnect the positive to avoid those little power leaks that come with boats and age.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If yo don't have a charger, take it to a gas station and get them to charge it. You can jumo and try to charge withthe engine but it will take a lot of running to know it's fully charged.

Consider a Perko battery switch so with one flick, everything is off. There is also a ground disconnect knob you can hook up that does the same thing but you don't have to pull the cable off each time, and worry about a loose ground after it gets worn out. overall, thogh, it's better to disconnect the positive to avoid those little power leaks that come with boats and age.

I have a 10amp charger and it won't start the charge because it detect a faulty battery. I will take it back to Wally World and Pick up a second battery to. I will order a Perko Switch. Thanks for the Reply.

j_martin

Admiral

An electronic (smart) charger usually won't try to start up charging a totally dead battery. An older analog (transformer and diodes, usually heavier for the same rating) charger will do it.

It won't draw any current at first, then it'll slowly start to draw some. When it does that, you can switch to the smart charger.

Usually a couple of weeks won't hurt them much unless they've been mechanically jostled around. You'd need to leave the smart charger on for a week or so to finish the charge.

If Wal-mart will warranty it, that's the fastest way back to the lake.

hope it helps
John

oldjeep

Admiral

If your charger has a manual setting then put it on manual 2amp for 30 minutes or so - that'll get enough juice into the battery so that the auto charge will start to work. I've had to do that on a couple batteries that got completely drained and also with brand new uncharged batteries for snowmobiles/atvs etc. Worked fine when I was done.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking maybe Jump starting the Boat. Let it run for 10 minutes just to get enough Charge and then top it off with the Smart Charger.

I'm going to the lake tomorrow so I need a good battery.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Wallyworld will test the battery, and either recharge it or give you a brand new one. They stand behind their batteries.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Does the boat sit in the water? Still doesn't address what is drawing the battery down. I was able to isolate the circuit for my audio, radio, depth finder as the culprit and put an on/off switch inline. If you're going to disconnect the negative from the battery what will power your bilge pump if it's needed?

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does the boat sit in the water? Still doesn't address what is drawing the battery down. I was able to isolate the circuit for my audio, radio, depth finder as the culprit and put an on/off switch inline. If you're going to disconnect the negative from the battery what will power your bilge pump if it's needed?

No boat does not sit in the water. I do have an inline on/off switch for all the accessories but I cant tell what position the switch its in. The switch isn't labled and until I can get battery power I won't know.

I'm at work now surfing Iboats so when I get off I will pick up a second battery "wanted to get a second one anyway" and swap it out for the dead one. Take the dead one to Wally World and have them charge it or replace.

Thanks.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok figured what I had done. I didnt notice the accessories switch was turned on which supplies power to the depth finder and Aux Lights. The Inline off and on switch was turned off and only kills power to the Stereo System. I discovered this after I installed a new WalMart Battery. I still have the dead one and will take it back to Wally this weekend.

Thanks for reading my dumbness.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I call the Ever-Start batteries from Wally-World. Never-Start, they are imports and not to be trusted. Go get an Interstate or an Opitma and forget about it........