Fuel tank/fitting sealant, gasoline resistant

RMasters

Seaman
I searched with several different keywords but could not find a topic covering this.

I have several portable fuel tanks installed (most are the same brand), they leak at the fuel fittings. Even with the vent in the fuel cap open, the tanks are leaking.

Is there any tape out there that is gasoline resistant (not gas resistant like the yellow/green Teflon tape)?

I would prefer tape vs. any other sealant, but would be willing to use that of course. After all, I want to stop the leaking.

Thanks anyone!

Ahoy!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel tank/fitting sealant, gasoline resistant

Yellow teflon tape...

RMasters

Seaman

Yellow Teflon tape is for gas lines. I am driving with gasoline. This tape will disintegrate when in contact with gasoline.

Ahoy!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I thought we weren't supposed to use any kind of sealant--especially tape--for fuel tank fittings, for fear of bits breaking off and clogging lines filters and carbs?

You may want to try to determine exactly what's leaking. I have the same prob, my 6gal portable plastic tank on my old Mercury just started leaking somewhere in the vicinity of the fitting. When it gets hot out some fuel pushes it's way up the pickup tube and leaks onto the deck. Good thing I wasn't lighting up when I took the cover off yesterday :eek:

Don't know yet whether it's the brass fitting to the tank's plastic threads, the female spade fitting's threads to the brass fitting, or a worn out male spade fitting (my prime suspect), but I'm going to try to rig up my brake fluid pressure bleeder this weekend to an old tank cap and see if I can pressure test the sucker and find the leak.