'89 OMC Engine cranking but won't fire up, Help please!

brewu240

Recruit
Engine is cranking but will not fire up...was fine the last couple days - ran it over memorial day weekend, had to replace solenoid for trim, but that was it. spark plugs look good, carburetor looks good, fuel pump is good...not sure where to check for any bad connections, could it be the ignition module? or coil?

Any help on this would be appreciative!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 OMC Engine cranking but won't fire up, Help please!

Did you pull a spark plug wire off to see if you have spark?

Is your "man over board switch" intact?

brewu240

Recruit

I didn't get a chance to test the spark yet, I plan on doing that today...

I'm not familiar with the "man overboard" switch, where would that be located?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its the one with the safety leash attached to it. It will be near your ignition switch.

brewu240

Recruit

It fired right up today when I tried, however there was an off timed noise and feel to the engine, I took a look in while it was running and saw some water leaking out underneather the belt for the waterpump. I checked the water hoses and felt water going through. I'm thinking that noise and feel I heard may have been the bearing in the water pump. it feels as though water is getting just not a sufficient amount. I took both belts off and turned the pulley to see if I can reproduce the same noise but I didn't hear it. Would it need to be moving quicker to for me to hear the vibration if it was the bearing?

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

some water leaking out underneather the belt for the waterpump

That's a sign of a water pump failure...

OKAY so what did you do to make it start today? Cuss at it?:p

brewu240

Recruit

I used every word in the book. I still don't know why it stalled out and wouldn't start? Maybe flooding of the engine? I'm changing both belts today - hopefully that will help quiet the vibration in the front of the engine. I'm also ordering a new water pump this week

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

hopefully that will help quiet the vibration in the front of the engine. I'm also ordering a new water pump this week

Run the engine without the belts for a minute and see if your vibration goes away.. A bad dampener will cause a engine to really rattle..

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my guess is a bad water pump and the water you see/feel is the water coming out of the weep hole, which happens when the pump goes bad