Fuel Water Separator - Fuel Color on the outlet

Caseyuconn

Seaman
I have a sierra fuel water seperator for my 1995 Johnson 88 SPL. The fuel coming out of the outlet line of the filter appears yellow in color when it should be the blue color in the pre-mix tank.
Is this common? Is it possible for these filters to filter out the pre-mix oil?

Note that the filter that I have on there is a Sierra 18-7944.

Thank you,

Re: Fuel Water Separator - Fuel Color on the outlet

No, it's not possible for a filter/separator to take out any oil. My guess is you're either seeing an optical illusion or else fuel is picking up some kind of crud from the fuel tank.

Caseyuconn

Seaman

Fuel tank is recently completely cleaned 24 gallon portable tempo. All new lines. For sure a different color. At the inlet it is nice blue. What filter type does everyone else use for a Johnson outboard?

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you pull the line off the filter outlet and put pump it into a clear bottle is it still yellow? They dont filter oil, no one would buy them and would never make it on the market if so.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been using the racor or sierra spin on fuel/seperator filters for years and have never had an issue with them. They do not seperate the oil from premix and the fuel will be the same color coming out that it is going in.
It sounds like the tank wasn't cleaned very well and if you are running ethanol fuel it is either cleaning the walls of the tank or if it's a fiberglass tank it could be breaking down the resin used in some tanks.