Trailer Rust Issues

mklawz

Cadet
Major newby here. Recently bought my first boat, and it seems like it's a good one, but as it turns out my trailer is a piece of crap. Boat buying lesson #1 - dont overlook the trailer!!

OK so one of my support/bunk beams has a major rust issue (1st and 2nd photos). Tomorrow Im having a guy cut out the problem spot and weld in some new steel. So that's good. But being the complete newby that I am, Im wondering if water should be getting into the trailer framing? I think that is what's causing my rust problems. At the front of the trailer where all the channel comes together is completely open. So water runs down the channels and doesn't have a way out (2nd photo). So again my question is, should water be getting into the trailer frame at all?? If so, should there be weep holes?

Somone please tell me what to do with this trailer. (besides 'scrap it', I hope it's not to that point just yet!). Thanks for your help!

CIMG4421Medium.jpg

CIMG4472Medium.jpg

CIMG4545Medium.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer Rust Issues

yes the trailer should fill with water... otherwise it would float.... yes there should be drain holes....

I recommend that you take a ball peen hammer to every inch of the trailer and look for more problem spots that you can't see yet.... they rust from the inside and it is very possible that the trailer is ready for that step you hope it isn't....

I suggest that if you do actually succeed in patching it up that you start shopping for a good deal on another trailer right away.

mklawz

Cadet
Re: Trailer Rust Issues

Thanks for the response. Hopefully the weld-job will go smoothly tomorrow. I considering having the guy do the other bunk support as well, as long as we're at it. It's not nearly as rusty as the one above, but it aint in perfect shape either. I suspect water has been getting in but hasn't been getting out of those low-points in those bunk supports.