Securing your Boat on the Trailer

Xandre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This past memorial day I had just pulled my boat out of the water and on to my trailer when the cable for the winch snapped! Fortunately the boat was already in place on the trailer and so I put my 2 tie down straps on the boat and made the decision to tow it to the marina which was less than two miles away even though the boat wasn't secured to the cable.

My question is how much of the load/stress is placed on that cable when towing compared to the straps? Is the cable the most important security when towing or the straps?

Attached is a photo of the rig. You can see the two straps doing all the work. One in front and one in back.

I obviously didn't feel safe but didn't know what else to do. The boat and trailer at currently at the marina awaiting repairs.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• BoatTow.jpg
    BoatTow.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Securing your Boat on the Trailer

two things come to mind.... First, you were probably just fine and the risk was very low. My second thought, however, is a bit disturbing.... While I don't see what you did to be a problem, your reasoning is. "I obviously didn't feel safe but didn't know what else to do" The answer there is really simple.... If it doesn't feel safe don't do it.... Get help.... get more straps.... ask for advice BEFORE moving...... Again, don't get me wrong, I think you were just fine. My only concern is that you didn't know you were but went any way.

If you want future peace of mind, you might consider carrying a few extra ratchet straps with you. Also if your winch line had failed while on the road instead of the parking lot you would have been completely loose on the front.... A safety chain on the bow should be considered a must for just this reason

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

btw to answer your other question..... the winch and straps are both equally important....

On a bunk trailer (especially if it does not have bunk slicks) there is generally very little stress on either one while towing.... the big stress comes in during a panic stop or emergency maneuver.

while obviously not recommended you could have likely made that trip with no straps at all as long as nothing stupid happened

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Why pay some clown $80-100 an hour to replace a strap on your trailer when you can EASILY do it yourself?

oldjeep

Admiral

Why pay some clown $80-100 an hour to replace a strap on your trailer when you can EASILY do it yourself?

Especially if you have to wait for them to do it. Its the type of repair that can be done in the parking lot in under 15 minutes.

Always good to have some ratchet straps in your tow vehicle - preferably something better than the 500-1000lb kmart variety.

Xandre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses and advice! Hearing what you have to say is very valuable for me!

I wouldn't have made the short trip if I felt the boat was going to come off the trailer some how. My friend and I checked everything and tested it a bit before we left so I was fairly comfortable but was treading new water so to speak and wanted to hear opinions.

I'm going to hook up a chain from now.

It wasn't a strap it was the metal winch cable and the components on the end of of the cable which attach to the boat that all broke. Just got a call from the marina...total cost $46.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

It wasn't a strap it was the metal winch cable and the components on the end of of the cable which attach to the boat that all broke. Just got a call from the marina...total cost $46.

Ya, I knew what you were talking about. This would have been the perfect time to get rid of that cable and get a new strap for your winch.