Volvo Penta 5.0GL power fluctuating

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice
Volvo Penta 5.0 GLBY engine with SX-M Sterndrive. Engine was stalling and backfiring. I took the boat to the authorized dealer and they did several things;

1. Changed distributor cap, rotor and cables.
2. Did a compression test (tested out ok).
3. They checked the fuel tank. (good and clean).
4. They did a Fuel system test (no restriction, good fuel flow).
5. Shift cable was corroded, (replaced).
6. Several cables studs or terminals corroded (replaced).

6 months ago I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and spark plugs also.

They have a pool were they test the performance of the boat at high rpm. After running test they were satisfied and delivered the boat.

I took it for a ride and this is what its happening.

The engine does not stalls as bad at it did before and no backfiring this time; however I noticed while cruising around 2500 rpm that the boat was suddenly loosing speed and rpm dropped by around 200 rpms, then after a minute or two will go back to the original rpms and gain the speed again. It will do this sometimes during my trip. I also noticed that while in neutral at one time it started to stall and the engine shut off. I started right back and did not stalled again; however the rpms keep dropping about 200rpms once in a while still.

What could be happening, I have spent over $4k and stating to get super frustated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Carlos

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0GL power fluctuating

If you are getting good fuel pump pressure while running at 2500 to 3000 rpm, It sounds like you may need a carb rebuild.

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice

A different mechanic also worked in my boat about 60 days ago and ordered a carb kit and worked on it. Would that repair kit be enough?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have no idea, I didn't get to see inside the carb.

cargarci

Seaman Apprentice

Could it be anything else other than the carb?

Thanks for the help!