Going to put in new deck/floor for my boat! I need help

I have an 89' byliner cobra 18' it has the original floor and is sagging at the bow where the underfloor storage is and stern. I'm looking to rebuild the floor any one know what to do what tools I will need and so forth all help would be great. Thanks

i will post pictures when i get started and keep adding to this thread please check back

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Going to put in new deck/floor for my boat! I need help

Start readin'. There's TONS of threads here in the resto section detailing exactly what you need to do. Friscoboater's SeaRay thread is an excellent resource.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are trying to get by on the basics, the tools you will need are a grinder, circular saw, random orbital sander, and a drill if you plan on attaching the deck with screws. I would start by drilling a large hole in the deck where there are no supports to find out how thick the deck is. Then set your saw a little short of this and saw the floor off in sections. If the deck was put down with screws, you can cut out the sections that do not have support and then take a "sawz all" or your grinder and cut the screws. After you get the floor out use it as a template to cut your new deck. Check all the stringers and cross frames for rot. Also if you have foam in your boat make sure it is not wet. If you see any of this better fix now than later. Dry fit the new deck to make sure it works and you didn't mess up a cut. Now you can attach the deck (screws or fiberglass is popular). Fill all the seams, gaps, or holes. Then you are ready to sand, prime, and paint. This is a very brief outline to help get you started, but every boat is different, so make sure you do as ezmobee said, "start readin". The threads here are full of wonderul ideas. I am still learning even after starting my boat project.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the "dry dock". Some other tools that I found useful on my Sea Ray is the Dremel Multi-Max and a Craftsman 3 1/2" circular saw. That little saw worked pretty good with cutting out the old floor. Loking forward to seeing progress. At some point, I'm sure you will pass me up. Thanks, Steven

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Make sure you have your safety gear; Glasses, gloves, coveralls or long sleeve shirt/pants, rubber gloves and most importantly a respirator. Not a white paper dust mask, a real respirator. Fiberglass dust (and you will see a lot of it) is not something you want in your lungs.

Also a shop vac is a huge help for clean up.