Dogs on boats

ultra_1968

Seaman Apprentice
My GF wants to take her lab to the lake with us. A pretty well behaved dog, but I'm more concerned about the dogs toenails on my seats etc. I would love some experience from other boaters who take their dogs with them. Any other things that I should be aware of before I let her bring the pooch.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Dogs on boats

Never been a problem other then the fact she is a high quality HAIR FACTORY!!
PuebloLake091910001.jpg

PuebloLake091910011.jpg

The rear sundeck is still disputed territory between the wife and the pooch, we exercise the lab to keep her weight down a biproduct of that is it also keeps her nails fairly short but she has never damaged anything.

Something to be aware of is that Labs are water dogs, add water and you have a very heavy water dog that needs to be loaded into the boat, if you can not reach the bottom of the lake your going to have a hard time loading the dog....ask me how I know, BTW Brandy(in the picture) is right at 100 lbs.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dog's claws aren't that sharp. They shouldn't cut your vinyl seats.

blifsey

After 10 years or so of boating without owning any dogs we now have two. The big brown retriever/shepherd mix in my daughters and the smaller black/white border collie mix is ours. We trim their nails and have not had any issues yet. As LippCJ7 mentioned, getting a large dog back into boat can be an issue. Last summer, I made a ramp from some scrap plywood for daughter's dog and it worked OK. This year, I made a step that hooks over ladder and works like the load-a-pup. On problem is it wants to float so we have to hold it under water until he gets weight on it. Here's a couple of pics from Memorial Day. And notice that dogs like to tube too :)

DSCN1023.JPG

DSCN1026.JPG

DSCN1045.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, Every dog I have had has gone on the boat (and even gotten them on the jet ski) and never had an issue with toenail holes in the interior. If the dog likes to ride in a car it will love to ride on a boat. Bring along a couple "treats" for the dog, a toy or two, and don't forget some sort of water bowl.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

We often take the hound with us.. She has her own life vest and everything..

flamron

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd love to take our dog out, but she gets car sick..... Yep, car sick. She's also allergic to people food (my 3 year old son likes to give her his food).

Dang dog!

wgl333

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 2 white labs both pushing 100lbs. We bought 2 life jackets and a pet ladder that floats and hooks on to the swim ladder to allow them easier access back on to the boat. Also, bought a "bathroom" rug with rubber backing to lay over the back seat and engine cover to allow them easy on and off without worry of the nails puncturing the vinyl seats if we haven't got them trimmed down far enough.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ProBailey.jpg

IMG_9171r.jpg

Our lab Bailey goes with us most every trip out. She's 10, but still acts like a puppy if we even mention going for a ride on the boat. Her nails haven't been a problem on the vinyl, but I should mention - we picked our style of boat mainly because of her. The wife wanted a typical bow rider really bad, until we went and looked at a fish and ski with carpet front to back. She instantly changed her mind on the fact that the dog would be much happier on carpet, and could have run of the boat. Getting her in and out has been an issue, still looking for the perfect solution (tried several, some work better than others.

D

DJ

We used to take our Beloved Black Lab also, all the time. She lived for days on the water.

She too was a "hair factory". I swore we would find a black hair in an egg one day.:D That's one of the reasons I like a wash out type boat like my Whaler. As far as the vinyl goes, we just laid a towel over the area that she called her own.

One thing people tend to forget is that dogs can easily get overheated and dehydrated on the water, just like people. Make sure you bring along plenty of water for them.

emilsr

We also have a yellow lab named Bailey (and a westie named Scooter); they LOVE to go with us on the boat and we love to take them. Nails on vinyl are not a problem. Dog hair and muddy paws are the main things to worry about.

If you boat with your dogs this is a MUST HAVE boating accessory. We've had ours 5 seasons and it's holding up very well. The other ones (i.e cheaper) were all crap....don't waste your money. http://www.pawsaboard.com/ladder.asp

blifsey

I've read conflicting reviews on the paws aboard. Emilsr, sounds like you've had very good experience with it.

How quickly/easily does it connect to the ladder?

gtochris

I'll post a picture later, but "Toby" LOVES going on the boat! He is 35ish lbs but has never damaged the vinyl. He mostly hangs out under the consol, but sometimes goes swimming:) He has a vest with a handle which helps with the recovery!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My GF wants to take her lab to the lake with us. A pretty well behaved dog, but I'm more concerned about the dogs toenails on my seats etc. I would love some experience from other boaters who take their dogs with them. Any other things that I should be aware of before I let her bring the pooch.

I had the same concerns when I got my boat. So far no claw Problems.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374218

BTMCB

IMG_1148.jpg

Not sure THIS one actually qualifies as a dog (don't tell the admiral I said that), but he loves being out there!

Samvq1

Seaman

How well behaved is the dog. Our Lab got so excited she tried to jump out of the boat into the water. Once she settled down she really liked it but we had to keep her on a leash. We are going to try again later when we can exercise her in the water first then take her.

emilsr

I've read conflicting reviews on the paws aboard. Emilsr, sounds like you've had very good experience with it.

How quickly/easily does it connect to the ladder?

It has two legs that sit on the ladder rungs and two velcro straps to go around the ladder upright to hold it tight to the ladder. Easy. I really can't come up with any complaints other than the size, but it fits under our motor cover right behind the anchor (as it did on our previous boat). May be a storage problem on some boats.....other than that there aren't any "cons" that I can think of.

If you ever see one in action you'll buy one. We first saw one on a boat anchored near us....our lab followed their lab up on their boat. When we got home that Sunday night I ordered one right away.

smatsinger

Seaman Apprentice

Does this count?! :eek:

God bless the admiral! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Callie the Lake Cat.jpg
    Callie the Lake Cat.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0