1999 four winns floor soft spot

mcurcio1989

Seaman Apprentice
I am the third owner of a 1999 four winns horizon 190. Ever since I bought the boat 3 years ago i have noticed a soft spot in the floor. It is right in front of the engine compartment and just about to the ski locker. Basically it is the area above the gas tank on this boat. Is there any type of noninvasive repair that can be made here? I am not sure what the problem is or how to fix it. While pulling the gas tank would make it seem possible to repair that would also require pulling the engine which is not something I want to embark on.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 1999 four winns floor soft spot

Welcome to iboats. It can be a slippery slope. Alot of times one soft spot turns into a major mess, and that is an indication of bigger problems. If you can guarantee that you do not have further rot, you might be able to replace a small section of the deck.

mcurcio1989

Seaman Apprentice

Well this boat has fiberglass stringers so at least I don't really need to worry about those. Near as i can tell it is just that location. How can you replace a section of the deck? Stupid question, I am sure.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How can you replace a section of the deck? Stupid question, I am sure.

You can do that. You need to cut the deck out until you get to solid wood and then fit in new wood and fiberglass it into place.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When you cut the rotted portion of the deck out, cut it out at a 45 degree angle.

Use the piece you cut out as a templet if you can, and cut the new piece at a 45 so it just sits right back in their.

Cover all bare wood with resin and glass.

mcurcio1989

Seaman Apprentice

The boat has a fiberglass floor with button on carpet and we don't leave the carpet in. I think it is supported by plywood underneath or something. Is anyone familiar with this setup. I don't understand how one could repair this without cutting into the finished fiberglass.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most decks are made of marine grade plywood encased in fiberglass. So in order to repair your deck, you will have to cut into it.

Check out some resto threads and do some homework on fiberglassing.

Frisco's thread is great.