Mercruiser 4.3L Flywheel

pwpns

Seaman
I have a 99 Stingray 192RX with a 4.3L Mercruiser engine and a Alpha one GenII sterndrive. The serial number is OL338612 and the engine has a roller cam and balance shaft with the vortec style heads. I learned the fun way last weekend that my flywheel is missing some teeth. So when i got home I started looking for a flywheel the mercruiser part number is either 222-804913 or (222-8243201(part no longer available))but between 500-600 dollars I'll keep looking for a used one. I was wondering if anyone knew if Volvo-Penta or OMC also had a flywheel that would also work in case I see one pop up on e-bay. Another question I noticed some parts websites refer to the drive as an alpha one Gen + whats the difference. Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercruiser 4.3L Flywheel

you should probably start looking to salvage yards for your ring gear, just make sure its the same diameter/tooth count as the old one - much cheaper (you don't need the whole flywheel, just the outer ring gear)

gen + could be in reference to the engine, no alphas are gen +, only gen II

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Take your flywheel to any Chevy dealer or auto parts place, you might have to order it, ring gear.
You are aware the engine will have to come out for replacement.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You only need a new Ring Gear, not the whole flywheel....

Napa has 'em for maybe $50. bucks...