whirring

mark gray

Cadet
alpha one, gen II on Merc 3.0LX. Replaced impeller, yoke seal, short yoke, all bellows, u joints, gimbal bearing, shift cable. Engine alignment right on. Alpha shifts into both forward and reverse as expected. Launched last night, had some low speed issues due to shift cable not being adjusted quite right and affecting the shift interrupt switch.

Tonight, adjusted shift cable, and went for test run. I believe that everything is working as it should...shifts fine, temp at 140, good response up and down throttle range. Only things that bugs me is, seems to be a "whir" coming from the OD. Could this be from drive train being a little "tight" from the new parts? Didn't break apart bearing "pack" on upper shaft and torqued new nut to just under 4lbs rolling. Any ideas?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: whirring

did you re-install the shims between the case and the shaft bearing assy??

dubs283

Vice Admiral

its a good idea to remove all the shims, making sure you have all of them including the large spacer shim, that way you know you have all of them and they all go back in

when you say you torqued the nut to 4lb/ft rolling, you realize the spec is for INCH lbs and must be checked with an inch pound dial torque wrench??

mark gray

Cadet

yes on the torque, mis type. I thought it would be best to leave shims in since they stayed in after pulling yoke, stayed in order and I wouldn't lose em! OD was on workbench, so not going anywhere. I have a high degree of confidence that no shims were missed, and that they are in the same order as they were.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

i can't imagine that the new yoke shaft would cause a whirring noise, i would suspect bearings/gears to do that - perhaps you are hearing a "ghost" noise??

i have gotten to the point where upon reassembly of a drive, i can check the gear lash by "feel" as it were - a light click of gear teeth as you gently rotate the spline shaft back and forth

this method of course does not work for a re-build including new bearings/gears but gives peace of mind after a re-seal