94 Sea Rayder Sport Jet 90 Fuel Problems

jmff38

Cadet
I just bought this boat last week. It would just click when you turned the key. Took the starter off, took it apart and cleaned up the brushes and contacts and put it back on (couldn't get a rebuild kit). It turned the engine over and fired right off. I didn't expect this and shut it right back down as I was out of water. Backed it in the lake and the starter just wouldn't quite turn the engine over, so ordered new starter.

I got the starter in the boat today and it turns it over great, however, the boat will not fire. I have spark and probably too much fuel. The carbs were supposedly rebuilt fairly soon before I bought it (they look extremely clean as if they were rebuilt). I finally took off the air box and it was full of fuel. With the air box off, the carbs dump fuel out when you crank it. I have new plugs in it even thought the old ones looked okay. The plugs don't seems to be getting soaked, so I'm not sure all this fuel is ever making it to the cylinders.

Need some advice on where to go from here. Thanks in advance!

CharlieFoxx

Cadet
Re: 94 Sea Rayder Sport Jet 90 Fuel Problems

I have same problem here. A '95 Rearayder 90hp SportJet. Engine completely rebuilt. New sparkplugs and everything.
It seems it's getting too much fuel. In order for the engine to start, I have to close the fuelline tank vale halfway in order to restrict the fuel flow. Then with the fuelline off the carb intake I crank the engine in just let the fuel drip on the line. This wil get the engine running. I'll connect the fuel line to the carburator intake and the boat runs. Of course i can't go full throttle 'cause the engine dies. Lack of fuel logically.
I hope you can get an answer on your problem because apparently I can use that answer to your problem too.

:)

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would check 2 things.

First would be the vent lines from the carbs and the connections...they tend to fill with varnish/sludge and prevent the floats from rising. You should be able to suck/blow through each hose and fitting (remember you may get fuel if sucking from carb):

SJVentTubes.jpg

2nd would be the enrichner (94 may have choke so you can disregard). Disconnect the 2 yellow leads. Check resistance to the enrichner. On a cold engine it should be 16-20 ohms (from memory). On a warm engine the resistance should go to infinity.

jmff38

Cadet

Oh yeah, they were a little on the clogged side! I have a feeling that these carbs aren't going to be as recently rebuilt as I thought. Anyway, that got it to stop flooding the carbs out, so the next step will be a water test to try and get things running a little more smoothly.

Thanks for the great advise!

P.S. I have a service manual for this thing, and I haven't seen anything about the vent tubes in it. Just another reason why this forum is a greater resource than any manual!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Calledinsick is 100% correct , Even with freshly rebuilt carbs varnish can plug these vents very quickly. Many people ignore them but even partially clogged vents can lead to bogging and cutting off under power .

CharlieFoxx

Cadet

Uuhmmm, one question.... in the picture shown above, which would be these vent lines? The yellowish ones???

Thnx

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct. The yellowish ones. It's pretty much the same as weed-eater/lawnmower fuel line...take a section with you to the parts store (most auto parts stores have it, some don't).

Make sure the connectors on thecarbs are cleaned out as well.

jmff38

Cadet

Okay, I have it up and running, however, it doesn't seem completely right. I know these are not supposed to get out of the hole real quick, but this seems pretty slow. It almost acts like it is not getting the full rpms. I've checked the butterfly valves at WOT and believe I have them completely horizontal. I'm wondering if it could be the rev limiter. What wire do I unhook and where in order to bypass that?

My top speed thus far is 31mph and it drops off if I run for more than a few minutes. I'm wondering if this could be something in the ignition system warming up and failing. What are the steps to check the individual ignition components?

I'm also wondering if I need to do some work to the ride plate. It doesn't look bent to me, but it is not perfectly flush w/ the boat at the front. My service manual says I have to throw away and replace the screws for the ride plate if I remove them. Is this true or can i just put a little locktight on them?

Thanks again!