Sorta new to the forum, just bought an old Johnson 9.9.. questions

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice
Hello! I used to be a member here but daymed if I can't figure out the old user name and password. Been several years.

I just bought a 1977 Johnson 9.9 (10EL77A). It's been in a garage since about 1995 and hasn't run since then. It was running fine when it was stored. $50 with a new prop still in the box. I can't pass up a $50 outboard and I've been looking for something to troll with as my main power is a Suzuki 55 with a jet pump. It's a lousy setup for slow trolling.

So I finally have a kicker motor. I haven't tried to start it.

My plan is to look inside the carb, replace the water pump and probably go ahead and do the head gasket, plugs and a T-Stat before attempting to run it. The motor looks clean and everything that is supposed to move, does move. Am I forgetting anything?

A couple questions before I get the wrenches out:

*I see several different repair manuals on ebay and Amazon. Any idea which ones I should avoid and/or look for?

*Anything I should know about this motor?? Pattern failures, weak links etc?

*I've got a great online supplier for my Suzuki parts, who should I turn to for Johnson parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money at another old motor.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sorta new to the forum, just bough an old Johnson 9.9.. questions

I personally dont reccomend the Clymers or Seloc manuals. Do yourself a favour and get a factory OEM Service Manual.

Parts are available right here on iboats, local dealer,etc...

The early 70s vintage 9.9s had some troubles, but by 77 I believe they sorted them out. Normal issues apply. Good luck!

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you High Trim

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Personally myself, I would pull plugs and spray some fuel/oil mix and check for spark. If good I would pull carb to see what condition it's in. If it has a cork float, pitch that and get a new one(Plastic). If good, then in barrel filled as high as possible and go for launch! Post back and let us know!

limacina

Seaman
Re: Sorta new to the forum, just bought an old Johnson 9.9.. questions

Pull the carb off and strip it, clean it in carb cleaner. Get the rebuild kit and reassemble. Pay close attention to setting the float, the cheaper manuals will be fine to tell you the measurements for this.
Buy a new fuel pump (about $70, but worth it) replace all the fuel lines inside the motor, they get brittle with age and dont look like their leaking but will pull in air. Replace the spark plugs. Do the water pump. You have to drop the lower unit down an inch or so and undo a clamp assembly on the shift rod.

They are fun little motors, I have a couple I use on my Zodiac as the tender for the big boat. When you put a little tuneup effort into them, they are quite reliable.

Not sure if I can post a web link, but heres one thats useful
www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson_9.9_troubleshooting.htm

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice

limacina,

Great link. Thank you!

I've redone the Carb. It was in better shape that I thought it was when I opened it up. Covered with varnish but it all cleaned up and everything look clear. No rust.The float is buoyant in gasoline. I may replace it after I run it. The fuel pump and lines are toast. Nobody seems to make a rebuild kit for the pump. Hate to have to pay for a whole new pump... I'm a cheapskate by nature. The throttle gear on the tiller handle is missing a couple teeth and the others are pretty worn so I'll have to try to find one of those. No luck so far but I haven't overwhelmed myself looking for one either.

There's lots of stiff moving parts, old dirty grease. I've got to pull everything apart, clean it and re-grease it. It's probably what caused the teeth to break on the tiller gear.

Over all, it doesn't look too bad. I figure $150 to get it up to snuff...... assuming there is compression. There better be, I've got a new prop for it and intend to have it running soon.

I think I'll have an issue with the reverse gear but I won't know for sure till I get in there. I don't need reverse.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

388683<-------OMC Fuel pump overhaul kit # about $60.00.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Look here in the Iboats marine store for your pump; I bought the whole pump for my 77 rude for $42.00; this was in January and was a fast delivery.

Rick.

Captain

Lots of great advice above. Glad to see you're on track in your thinking 'better now than later'. I would also replace your fuel line from the tank to motor c/w primer bulb. Those gears often get broken by forcing the tiller handle into run position when the gears are not aligned. Never turn the throttle with the tiller arm up more than a little bit or gears will go out of alignment. Best of luck. Rick.
One more thought would be to do a compression check. Only then, and if necessary, would I remove the head.

Suzi55Jet

Seaman Apprentice

Well, there ya go. Ebay. Why didn't I think of that?

I won't do anything inside the motor till I do a compression check. I won't do a compression check till I'm convinced all the external systems are working and/or in new condition.

The motor has a short shaft. I'll try to find someone who will trade a long shaft for it. I could use it the way it is but it isn't the best scenario.

I don't really want to do the head gasket anyway. I don't want to pull the power head if I can avoid it. I can't really get good torque readings for the lower head bolts without the head off. I don't see any signs of it leaking. I don't see any signs of water leaking either. That's one of the reasons I felt fairly comfortable buying it.

The project is taking a back seat for a while, I've got an old dog that's probably not going to be with me much longer and he's earned more of my time than the motor.