OMC behind Kaiser motor

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First post here and probably not my last if I buy this boat.

I have a friend of mine that has a 1969/1970 formula concept boat. This boat is extremely rare and is in EXCELLENT condition. The interior is brand new along with a completely rebuilt engine and OMC outdrive. Being the year it is I believe it is the electronic shift version of the OMC. My question is how many years/hours of use can I expect out of this outdrive.

I am extremely maticulate, border line OCD about preventative/general maintenance.

He only wants $700 for the boat and trailer. The boat hull is completely composite (foam and fiberglass) so I don't have to worry about stringer rot. Transom (I think) and floor are plywood but both replaced 2 years ago. The boat has been kept outside but covered during the winter months.

He needs the money and I need a boat, seems like a win win.

Any and all constructive comments/help are welcome (I have been on forums when all people want to give for feedback is "don't do it"-really iritating when they don't leave a reason.)

Thanks,
Chas

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC behind Kaiser motor

Here is a photo of the boat:
0531112003.jpg

heiliges

Seaman Apprentice

If it floats and runs on the water and the shifting is smooth. 700 is a steal. If everything on the interior is as stated, you let me know if you dont buy it from him, maybe I'll come get it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ordinarily I would say pass because owning an obsolete powerplant that you have to rely on ebay for parts for can be a drag. However, it's only $700 and if it's truly all composite that takes a lot of the additional risk away. If you really like the boat it may be worthwhile to repower sometime down the road if needed. So I say go for it as long as you know what you're getting into with the OMC (I'd anything beyond real general maintenance parts are going to real hard to get and/or real spendy).

Welcome to the site and if you decide to buy it, stick around cuz you won't find a better site to help you keep that dinosaur running.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. Ya I have another friend that lerks around on here named Forrest he is really into vintage boats and can fix just about anything (I'm not to shabby either but lack the knowledge of I/O's.) They have all the reciepts so I think I will take a look at it and end up dropping the cash on it. I will def. repower at some point with a small V8, but for now if it runs, floats, and moves I'm down.

Bondo

Staff member

I will def. repower at some point with a small V8, but for now if it runs, floats, and moves I'm down.

Ayuh,... When ya do that,...
It'll be the perfect time to ditch that Stringer drive too...
Find a complete driveline by Merc or Volvo to stuff inta it...

You claim a lack of I/O knowledge,...

Lesson, #1,...
OMC antique Stringer drives are nothin' ya wanta Own,...
Especially an Electric 1...

I'll also venture a Guess that what yer callin' a Kaiser motor, is really a Buick...

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya I am calling the buick motor the kaiser...I saw previous threads and I don't want to get into which it really is haha. Its the 255 buick odd fire motor.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found out a little more about the boat. It has a donzi hull which was unloaded onto the co before it was formula. They only made about 8 of these boats (open bow, and donzi hull.) The current owner knows the whole history of the boat but I can't remember a lot of it (ADHD haha). The boat seems to having an electrical problem that they don't know whether it is in the ign. switch or the neutral safety.

Can anyone give me an idea of where the neutral safety is on the early OMC units or does this pertain to the engine more. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to I/O's so sorry for my ignorance.