Needed a trailer

Hammer66

Cadet
Well after only 2 outings I had to get a trailer. I have a 12.5 foot Newport Vessels that was a bit more than I wanted to handle even with transom wheels. I just couldn't put my wife through lugging the boat to and from the launch ramps. The mornings weren't too bad but at the end of the day packing up was a chore. Plus now when we go on vacation I will actually have room inside my Trailblazer for luggage.:D
Anyone have any suggestions for setting the trailer up for an inflatable with a wood floor? I am thinking of making some sort of platform on the boat trailer so I can transport the boat, motor and gear uninflated for longer distances.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Needed a trailer

Hi there. A trailer will definitely come in handy, and the sky and your budget are the only limits on what can be done. You're already pondering the simplest solution, the platform. One method would be to adhere some kind of durable padding: marine carpet, rubberized adhesive, etc. to a sheet of plywood (PT is okay this time since there's no aluminum involved), then attach it to a utiilty trailer with U bolts. That way you could easily remove it any time you wanted. You could then simply attach whatever tie down points struck your fancy anywhere on it. You might try poking around here for customization ideas. http://www.mountainbuzz.com/ Word to the wise though. Buzzards aren't cuddly like iboaters, so if you start a thread without first searching the forum extensively you probably won't get far. Good luck.

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what kind of trailer you bought from your post, but there are many ways to set up a trailer for a collapsible inflatable.

You could check out some ideas here: http://www.my-inflatable-boat.com/inflatable-boat-trailers.html

If you are laying an inflatable on a flat deck, make sure your motor and or transom are supported to get rid of any stress from bouncing on the transom/tube joint.

Good luck.

Hammer66

Cadet

Thanks guys!
R and O. I bought a boat trailer and will be rigging it up something like yours. However I was thinking about spanning the unused portion with a small floor for transporting over longer distances with the boat deflated and packed in it's bag.
How long and wide are the bunks you used? I will make sure they extend back far enough to support the transom.
BTW. I re-read my original post and the way I stated it makes it sound as though I make my wife launch the boat by herself.:eek:
Thanks for the feeback.

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

H66

My bunks are 2x6's 6 feet long covered with boat trailer carpet.

Get a transom saver too, cheap and simple to install, it supports the motor and stops engine bounce while driving.... works great.

Not a bad idea to make the trailer multi-purpose.

Yeah, I can't convince my wife to do all the launching either.

R&O