Under the flywheel

catfishwv

Seaman Apprentice
There is a long screw and it hooks to a arm where you can adjust it . as you shift it moves under the fly wheel. what does this do? seems the plastic that holds it in place broke on mine

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Under the flywheel

A picture if possible would be helpful to be 100% sure. It's probably the ignition trigger. As you move the throttle forward, it advances the ignition timing, so it's an important feature on your motor.

catfishwv

Seaman Apprentice

could that explain why I dont go as fast as i used to?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes. The timing has change with engine speed. Timing has to advance as engine RPM increases to get maximum power. On the other hand, if the timing is too far advanced at wide open throttle, it can cause piston damage.

catfishwv

Seaman Apprentice

got the parts coming monday. is there any certain way to make sure its still in time?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

You should at least check the timing after replacing the broken piece. What year and horsepower is you motor?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If you're familiar with setting the timing on a car then you basically use the same principle. You need a timing light and need to note the timing marks on the flywheel. The biggest difference is on the Force outboards, you set the timing when the motor is at WOT. There are two methods. One with the motor actually running at WOT, the other is a static timing method using the starter to crank the motor over but not with the motor actually running. Service manual kind of explains how to do it.

catfishwv

Seaman Apprentice

thanks i bought one off ebay after finding one on there