Johnson 175 spark problem

gksail

Cadet
1987 Johnson 175 Intermittent spark problem. I unplug the black/yellow stripe wire from powerpack and motor will start. Plug it back in and it will continue to run. shut it off - will restart with wires plugged in. Next day no spark plugged in or disconnected. Any advice where to look?

johnsonxmech

Recruit
Re: Johnson 175 spark problem

Do you have spark now? have you checked continuity of the black/yellow wire to the switch. Maybe you have a bad wire in the harness

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the timer base as that motor should have dual packs. The only way both packs would fail at same time would be if you had voltage on blk/yel wire from miswired/defective key switch.

gksail

Cadet

Sounds like the timer base as that motor should have dual packs. The only way both packs would fail at same time would be if you had voltage on blk/yel wire from miswired/defective key switch.

Interesting thought, so you think both packs failed because of a defective key switch. Do you think the timer base is also bad?

gksail

Cadet

Do you have spark now? have you checked continuity of the black/yellow wire to the switch. Maybe you have a bad wire in the harness

I don't have spark at all. I did and had it running but had to fool around with the limit switch wiring (Pulling the B/Y wire) I did the test for the switch and it seems to be good.