1993 Mercury 75hp Outboard Engine - Stator Problem or Starter Problem?

BCHeeps

Recruit
Hi Everyone,

The other day me and my friend got a really good deal on an older boat but with a newer 1993 Mercury 75hp Longshaft Outboard with $1800 of work in it 2 years ago. Today was the first day out on the water. After taking a few minutes to start, we finally got going and then a few minutes later the engine just suddenly shut off like we had shut it off. Then everytime we tried to turn it on a loud whistling would come from the control box and the engine wouldnt even sound like it was trying to turn over. Also the trim stopped working. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and the trim started working again (along with the horn and the other electronics) but after i tried the key again, the whistling started and all of the electronics failed. I read about this "black stator" problem, does it sound like that could be it? I was also thinking it might be the starter because a similar thing happened in my older truck and it was the starter. Any help would be great.

richve

Cadet
Re: 1993 Mercury 75hp Outboard Engine - Stator Problem or Starter Problem?

The whistling noise is probably the waring horn. Check for overheating or low oil in the injection reserve tank. You could have air in the line or other oil injector problems. Don't run the motor until you find out. For starters get a Operators Manual. Did the motor have a good pee stream when it was running ? Best of Luck.

richve

Cadet

If you absoutely must run the motor for diagnostic purposes. Use a remote tank with a 50:1 fuel/oil mixture. Don't forget the muffs.

j_martin

Admiral

Sounds like a bad battery or connections. Check that first. Bouncing battery voltage will confuse the alarm system.