1984 6 cylinder 90 hp

jwg8tor

Recruit
Hello. New to the forum and fairly new to boating. I just bought a boat with a 1984 Mercury 90 hp straight 6. I am having a hard time starting. It turns over fine and once its started it runs fine. Just takes 5-10 minutes grinding the starter and playing with the throttle and choke. Also if I find a fishing spot and stop for 15 minutes or so I have to start all over with the grinding of the starter and throttle. I can see when dead cold it might be a little hard to start at first, but this seems a little much. Any help would be appreciated. s/n 6515627

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 6 cylinder 90 hp

Have you checked the choke primer to
make sure it's working properly?

jwg8tor

Recruit

Would that make it stall when coming to a stop???? Thats another one of the symptoms I forgot to mention in my first post.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you get a manual with the motor?You will need it.I'd be checking evrything,start with compression and spark test.Also check your starting procedure.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you just bought it do you have
any service history?
Check spark.
Check compression.
If all is good may be time for full
service with carb clean and kit.
Make sure floats are set right.
How old is the gas?
A good De-carb Soak with all the above
never hurts.

jwg8tor

Recruit

Thanks, for the feedback. I didn't know if it was a common problem. As far as I know, the carbs were done in November, spark plugs done last 2 months, and compression was said to be all in the 140's. I guess i need to go ahead and get manual and start testing...