timing 1988 85 hp force 856x8a

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
in leighmans terms how do i properly adjust the timing on my force outboard... I have read the solas book at least 15 times and its like complete JIBBERIOUS to me.. Seriously Im lost... Im not quite getting the engine rpm out of my boat and i replaced the adjuster under the flywheel last year cause it broke and never timed it... boat seems to lag a bit and i just wanna check it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: timing 1988 85 hp force 856x8a

Layman's terms: get an inductive timing light (clamp on style) Put the black clamp around the top plug wire close to the sparkplug. Find the marks on the flywheel. If the flywheel is black or blue, mark them white. If it is an older white Force, mark them black, This make it easier to see.

On the flywheel there will be one single mark which indicates top dead center.About 2-3 inches to the left will be a group of lines. The center line is 30 degrees before top dead center. The one to the right is 28 degrees.

In the driveway: Easier if done in the shade. Remove all three plugs and ground them so you don't damage the CD boxes. Crank the engine over with the control handle in full forward. point the light at the flywheel rim and pull the trigger. This will "stop" the lines. Loosen the stop nut and turn the adjusting screw until the 28 mark lines up with the pointer line on the block (bent plate just above the top carb OR cast-in arrow on top of the manifold).

Alternately, you can set timing to 30 degrees at full throttle while running. Do not adjust the timing screw with the engine running or you may make the flywheel red and/or join the nine finger club. Stop the engine and make adjustment then start and run to see where it is. Do this until it is correct.

Now: wasn't that easy? No gibberish, just plain language.

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can the engine be run at WOT with muffs on in the driveway to check timing? I was under the impression that I was to never get over maybe 1500 to 1800 rpm, then just for a short while?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

No, you really would not want to run at full throttle in the driveway. I meant running in the water. Without the load of the prop in the water, it would be like mashing the gas pedal of you car in neutral--without the rev limiter in new cars. Really soon something drastic is going to happen and you don't want to be standing there!

erosenwinkel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I had the motor (1258x5a) timed at the marine service shop after my rebuild. I have adjust the carbs, the throttle link the goofy looking cam with the hook to stop at WOT. I have adjusted the idle screw, I have not touched anything up above the carbs. By messing around with the previous things, is there any possiblility that I can have the motor out of time. It seems to be running correctly, sounds good, accelerates without hesitation, smokes slightly at idle, starts nicely, goes into gear without stalling (forward and reverse). I just want to make sure that by messing with the throttle and idle stuff down below that I didn't inadvertantly do something that messed up the timing. My top speed is not much over 32, is that what I should expect?(18.5 ft open bow Bayliner Capri 1984) Compression is 140 on all four cylinders. I have new plugs, the flat electrode ones. I followed the link and sync sticky. Jets out to 1 1/4. Have not messed with fuel pump or diaphragm. Have not messed with carbs other than the jets. Dumped out sediment bowls, floats are free. Changed fuel lines. My earlier exhausts bellows issue was just that, it was seated properly and I probaly was leaking exhaust into cowl area and sucking into carbs. Any ideas?