Re-attaching lower unit to 1975 Johnson 50 hp

JohnnyB021

Recruit
I have successfully changed the water pump and am now trying to re-attach the lower unit, but when inserting the shift-pin I cannot hit the hole in the upper part of the shift rod to connect it to the shift linkage. Is there a trick to making this blind connection? I figured that this connection needed to be made prior to attaching any of the bolts in the lower unit...is this correct? Would sure love some tips on this one....thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-attaching lower unit to 1975 Johnson 50 hp

The shift linkage hookup is the last thing you do in the installation of the lower unit. However, you may need someone to help you guide the shift rod up where it belongs.

Have the shift control set so that it is out of the way of the rod first......... and hopfully you did not turn that shift rod and throw its critical adjustment off.

This measurement is to be, with the lower unit in neutral, from the top surface of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod hole, as follows.

1975 - 1978 - 50, 55, 60hp Electric Start = (S) 15-29/32" - - (L) 20-29/32" plus/minus 1/32" Have shift rod in neutral.