Boat Explosion - Erie, PA

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After a great 2 days of boating over memorial weekend, I woke up today to read this. Makes me sick to read somthing like this. I have no info to add as it is all hear say, but I am still wondering if the blower was on while all this was occuring.

http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110531/NEWS02/305319926
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 32-foot Wellcraft was experiencing mechanical problems leading up to an explosion Monday night that killed an Erie woman and injured five others, Erie's chief fire inspector said.

Erie Chief Fire Inspector Guy Santone said his investigation into the accident at the Erie Yacht Club showed that the operators of the boat, named Jimmy Time, were having difficulty filling one of the boat's two fuel tanks, and that an old gasket that "gave way" and allowed fuel vapors to enter the engine compartment instead of being blown out.

The boat exploded when it backfired while the operator tried to get it started, Santone said.

Killed in the blast was Erin Carlisle, 25, of Erie, according to Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook.

Four other people on the boat were injured. They were identified as the boat's owner, 32-year-old Aaron Hertel; Michael Brown, 34, Hertel's partner in Hertel & Brown Physical and Aquatic Therapy in Erie; Ryan Carlisle, 25, a physical therapist for Hertel & Brown and the husband of Erin Carlisle; and Hertel's 2-year-old son.

Also injured was the attendant at the Erie Yacht Club's fueling station, identified by Santone as Rachael Palkovic, no age available.

All five of the injured were taken to Pittsburgh hospitals for treatment. Santone said he had no information on their conditions.

See Wednesday's Erie Times-News and GoErie.com for more details.