maybe all related

bhhouse

Recruit
1985 OMC 8 cyl

engine will backfire on acceleration and will loose power when using buttons up or down trimming or tilting out drive but does not kill the engine ?. Engine will also die when at low idle RPM any ideas?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: maybe all related

Sounds like a lean condition on the pump shot. Accelerator pump bad or worn, throttle nozzle plugged, and with the engine dieing at low rpm would suggest carb overhaul needed.

bhhouse

Recruit

yes that crossed my mind but I feel that may bot remedy the engine bogging down when underway and trying to trim or tilt outdrive......maybe alternator.....under load.......????????

ACausey

Recruit

If you have a test meter, watch your battery voltage with the motor off vs the motor running. Ideally it will be 12+ volts motor off and a little higher (13+) while running. If you see the voltage drop below 12 while operating the trim, you may have an alternator problem. If the voltage at the battery does not change, you could just have connection problems. I agree it "sounds electrical" but I certainly don't know enough about the entire system to say for sure.

Good Luck,
Andy

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have a bad connection somewhere that is causing a voltage drop or your alernator has failed. A bad connection could be at the starter or at the main engine harness plug. Check the starter one first. My boat had the exact same problem.