resistive ignition wire

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: resistive ignition wire

If you are talking about an I/O or inboard engine it's usually the wire that feeds power to the coil while the engine is running. It comes from a "keyed source" something that is live with 12v while the ignition key is in the "ON" position. When the key is turned to start 12v is fed to the coil so make starting easier, once started the key goes to on and the resistor wire then takes over usually dropping the voltage down to 8 or 9v to help prolong the life of the coil.

ron7000

Banned

I think Bob is referring to the ballast resistor, not a resistor wire.<br />It's been so long that I've done anything with points, I'd have to look back at my 1975 merc wiring diagram to be sure, but I think the resistor wire runs to the points from the negative side of the coil, and the points make the connection to ground. The purpose of the resistor wire is to limit the current going through the points, which as they open and close make the coil fire. The points can only handle a couple amps of current, any more and they burn out prematurely.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Ron, not it but close. :) Bob is correct. Marlin, I replied in your other post.