Facelift on the Topside

justfishun

Recruit
Hi, I am trying to get a start on re-painting and fixing some soft spots on my Bay Pro (by Skeeter). 90% of the topside is in good condition but needs to be resurfaced/painted because of cracks, rust and chipping of some fiberglass. The soft spots are only 10% of the topside surface.
Question:
1.) How does Marine grade Rust-Oleum compare to other marine paint and would you recommend it?
2.) What equipment, tools and patch material would you recommend to repair soft spots and could these be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot (these stores are the closest to me)?
3.) For a non-skid surface or textured, what type of material/paint would you recommend?
Please get back to me soon, would like to have this project wrapped up before summer is over.
P.S. The outboard Johnson V6 is still in excellent condtion. Just boat and trailer needs TLC.
Thanks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Facelift on the Topside

What do you mean by soft spots on the topside? Soft spots can be an indication of much bigger problems.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi, I am trying to get a start on re-painting and fixing some soft spots on my Bay Pro (by Skeeter). 90% of the topside is in good condition but needs to be resurfaced/painted because of cracks, rust and chipping of some fiberglass. The soft spots are only 10% of the topside surface.
Question:
1.) How does Marine grade Rust-Oleum compare to other marine paint and would you recommend it?
2.) What equipment, tools and patch material would you recommend to repair soft spots and could these be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot (these stores are the closest to me)?
3.) For a non-skid surface or textured, what type of material/paint would you recommend?
Please get back to me soon, would like to have this project wrapped up before summer is over.
P.S. The outboard Johnson V6 is still in excellent condtion. Just boat and trailer needs TLC.
Thanks.

Are you asking for a good Resto book recommended by us ? .. or .. ? ..

1. Rusto Vs. Marine .. Some recommend it..some dont ..
2. Equipment, tools and materials.. ( too many to list without Specific repair definitions ).
3. AwlGrip and Griptex ( this is my recommended choice ).

The Iboats forum has a Vast repository of both current and past product/system of application, pros-cons of just about Everything !!

I very rarely suggest you use that Search thingy.. But for your sake your looking for answers that have been answered and argued a few times already.

Put up some pics and more Info please..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Question:
1.) How does Marine grade Rust-Oleum compare to other marine paint and would you recommend it?GREAT. Recommend it all the time. Especially with the Valspar Hardener. My recipe is 1cup Acetone 1/4cup Hardener, 1Quart Paint. Spray with HVLP Gun with 1.8 -2.0 Tip OR Roll n' Roll method with 6" foam rollers.
2.) What equipment, tools and patch material would you recommend to repair soft spots and could these be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot (these stores are the closest to me)?HMMM!!! Are you referring to soft spots in your deck?? If so, then I agree with Ondarvr, this could mean more problems below the deck and you should investigate further instead of just Patching over a problem.
3.) For a non-skid surface or textured, what type of material/paint would you recommend? Paint while still wet sprinkle coarse sand, let dry, another coat of paint. Done.
Thanks.

My comments above in Green.

justfishun

Recruit

Thanks for the inputs. Clearly I have been busy with other irons in the fire but as soon as I remove the center console I could get a better estimate or a look at how much will need to be removed/repaired. Soft spots are slight giving of the floor in certain and radom areas of the boat. The bow and area around the back where the out board is located seems to be rigid. I do not know much about Bay boats because I have owned mostly aluminum boat/river boats.
I believe I could have the center console removed soon but I do not know how to disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle lever. Everything else had an easy disconnect plugs or screw type conection and could take them a part.
I am sure you have figure it out that I know little about bay boats/bigger boats, but I am doing these repairs for a dear friend of mine and would like to have it repaired prior to thier next birthday. Even though I am a woman I do know a lot about mechanical aspects of engines/motors, electrical, plumbing, capentry, hunting and fishing.
I will make better time at reading responses to my posting.