MERCRUISER 140 HP STALLS

marlin 201

Cadet
Hello,<br />I haven't ran my MERCRUISER 140 HP engine for about three months. I put some fresh gas in the tank and tried to start it over the weekend. It turns over and sounds like a normal start but when I release the ignition it stalls out. It seems like it is not getting a constant flow of gas. I also recently replaced all the engine instruments. Could wrong wiring be the problem, or cloged fuel line? Thanks for your help!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: MERCRUISER 140 HP STALLS

If it runs while you have the key turned but dies out when you stop cranking, it's likely the main ignition wire. When cranking, the ignition gets it's +12V from a lug on the starter, then when you let off the key that juice goes away and you're left with the resistive ignition wire. That wire is likely the problem.

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turn your key to on and check the coil + side for 12 Volts. It should be hot, if not then work your way backwards to the key switch.

marlin 201

Cadet

Should the resistive ignition wire be receiving +12V? Does the resistive ignition wire come off the ignition? I may not have reconnected the resistive ignition wire to the correct terminal? Sorry, I'm a rookie!<br />Thanks for the help!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

hey marlin,<br /><br />The resistive wire is the wire, on points systems, that feeds the coil while running. It is typically 7-9 volts, should not be 12. Points systems use this so that the coils do not burn out the points too fast. It is typically purple or grey and will connect to the coil. There will be another wire on the same post of the coil that goes right to the starter. This is the bypass wire I was talking about. <br /><br />When you have the key on, use a meter and poke around to find the wire near the coil that has less than 12 volts, that should be it. Hope this helps.