Stiletto Propeller Question

ckirk

Cadet
I have a 19.5' Bayliner Bowrider with a 3.0L 135 HP Mercruiser and Alpha-One Gen II sterndrive. I originally used a 14.25 x 21, Michigan Wheel Vortex Aluminu propeller. The boat would run about 38-40 MPH at max RPM of 4500.
Last winter I purchased a 14.25 x 21 Stiletto Advantage II propeller not realizing apparanlty that I should have gone down in pitch. I used the new propeller for the fist time this past weekend. The boat would run at the same top speed but the full throttle RPM was only about 3800.
Can anyone recomend a SS propeller repalcement that will perform comparably to my original aluminium propeller.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stiletto Propeller Question

Find a prop shop that will let you try before you buy.
My guess 17 pitch but it gets pricey experimenting

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you found a pretty good prop, just need the same thing in a 19.

MPII

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been experimenting with props as well. I have a 4.3 Merc. LX. With a 19, I am overreving a little, around 5200 rpms. With a 21 I am at about 4700 at WOT and get max speed.

There are lots of threads explaining how props work and I am not an expert by any means, however, what I do know is that the higher the pitch the more water you push, lower RPMS you turn, and generally (until you reach the law of diminishing returns), the higher top end you have but longer to get out of the water. The 21 is the best prop I have tried now at this point and I am going to settle on that. I would try a SS 19 pitch.