Need to seal the windshield?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I have a two piece snap down cover on my Bayliner Capri 1950 when moored at the dock. The front cover piece snaps on the bottom edge of the windshield and the cockpit/rear piece snaps on the top of the windshield edge then snaps at the stern. With this design the windshield is exposed. The problem is in a rain storm I get water leaking down the window into the dashboard area on both passenger and driver side of the boat, quite a bit of water. The old rubber seals on the windshield are brittle and dry so I am sure it leaks in there.

What do you think of re-sealing the windshields with clear silicone all around? If I am careful you probably will hardly see it and I think that should work to keep out most of the rain water. I would leave the old rubber where it is and just seal over the top of it.

Thoughts?

Joe

Bayliner1952

Seaman
Re: Need to seal the windshield?

Sounds like a good idea, I have the same problem on my 1952. There is weather striping now where the windshield meets the top of the cuddy, but it is starting to fall out in places. I think i'm just going to take the glass off and replace the stripping, it seems like the caulking never bonds properly. take some photos, i'm curious how it will work.
I'm not sure how the 1950 looks, but my 1952 has a hinged door in the windshield to get up top, thats why i'll need the stripping.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Mine has the hinged window to get from the cockpit to the bow area of the bowrider. Is yours the cuddy or the bowrider?

Attachments

• Photo092.jpg
    Photo092.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The silicone may work but you'll have it in the back of your mind that it's not the correct fix. In order to do it right, you'll need to remove the windshield and replace the gasket. I certainly understand the work involved and the chance of rusted fasteners being a major pain in the rear - that's why I have silicone on mine :D.

For the windshield channel, again the correct fix is to remove and disassemble the windshield. Seals for that part are readily available.

If you've got a windshield that opens, it could be next to impossible to find the original shape of extruded moulding. I was able to modify a door sweep threshold seal to work and look fairly decent. You just have to work with it until the look and function is acceptable to you.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Mine has the hinged window to get from the cockpit to the bow area of the bowrider. Is yours the cuddy or the bowrider?

Mine is a Cuddy, has the same hinged window as yours with a 1.5" rubber strip running along the entire seam. I'm planning on pulling off the glass by the end of the season to replace. I'll post up some Photos when I do.

Good luck!