5.7L w/ OMC Cobra/SX bent prop shaft

cpoirier

Recruit
I just bought a 1998 Seaswirl 208 Cuddy in great shape. I also just found out that the prop shaft is bent. I have a quote to replace it for 800. But it seems I can get the parts for ~350 from a GLM Marine distributor. My sn on the outdrive is T0820426. Although V/Ps name is on the tag, when I called them they said they could not identify the correct workshop manual. Also I don't know what special tools I'll need yet or the cost, the 800 may be a good deal.

So here are my questions.
1. Where can I get a detailed workshop manual?
2. Anybody know what special tools I'll need, a source to get them and an estimated cost?
3. Anyone done this job before, was it hard to do?
4. What did I just buy, any comments on the motor/outdrive?

I'll post pics of the breakdown/repair and give all kinds of details if I wind up doing the job myself to help further the sport of DIY. I'll also post a pic of the boat once my wife hands over the camera.:D

Chris

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: 5.7L w/ OMC Cobra/SX bent prop shaft

hmmmmm GLM 100 bucks cheaper than OEM.. GLM China crap.. IDK do what you want bud...

If you haven't torn into a lower.. I would just drop the cash and let the shop do it.. You gotta measure backlash and shim all that mess.. You gotta have special tools to remove the bearing carrier.. A press to remove the bearings for the shaft.. BLAH BLAH BLAH.. Starts to sound like a pain.. Sometimes it's worth it to let a shop fix it for ya.. Remember $800.. More than half of that is going to the price of the parts to repair.. The shop ummm I bet wouldn't wipe it's butt with the GLM catalog... You get what you pay for sometimes.. This is one of those times...

Re: 5.7L w/ OMC Cobra/SX bent prop shaft

Good luck with the repair. GOTO... www.kencook.com they will have the original owners man, service man and parts man with part numbers. Everyone one iboats should know this web site. I paid 70 bucks for two books and im glad i did. exploded views and great instructions. Well worth it.