1969 650, have a few questions

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello everyone, I have a few questions on getting this engine up to par, its new enough to have everything solid state so I'm happy with that, anybody out there with an old krusty merc hat?

1) There is no nipple for the tell tale and doesn't look like there ever was?, is this something your supposed to drill and tap yourself?

2) The lower oil nipple on right side looks to hook up to a tee (shown) in lower front of the engine which then connects to a nipple about midway up in front of the engine, This is for oiling the bearings but is this right? also on the right side of engine there is a nipple midway connected with a factory hose to the upper end cap nipple, just wondering if that routing was correct?

3) The distributor has what looks like a vent on top is this really necessary to have a hose connected to it and where does it connect?

4) Here is the drive shaft splines from lack of lube, the crank splines are the same way except worn less, I will assume and hope there is a lot of life left in these splines if lubed up properly...( please don't tell me its junk, I'm going to run it anyway:)) cross my fingers.

5) This might be a tough question, I pulled the gear off the carrier, the clearance on the reverse gear for the fat o'ring is extreme?, probably a 1/4 inch of slop, is this even the right thrust washer? the pic in the parts book shows a shoulder and appears wider, I don't even know if this is a shim or a thrust washer? I am fairly certain this is the correct gear and the ball bearing is seated all the way in, I am kind of stumped on this one.

The engine runs strong but I would like to go through it and make it right, any help or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

IMG_0690.JPGIMG_0691.JPGIMG_0692.JPGIMG_0694.JPGIMG_0695.JPG

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 650, have a few questions

1) There is no nipple for the tell tale and doesn't look like there ever was?, is this something your supposed to drill and tap yourself?
No as most of the tattle tells where plumbed from the bottom of exhaust cover or adapter housing. Some models after 1965 had a plug on top of block that could be removed with straight edged screwdriver and elbow added there. That bexhaust plate in your picture in my opinion need to be remoced and silicon cleaned away...
The lower oil nipple on right side looks to hook up to a tee (shown) in lower front of the engine which then connects to a nipple about midway up in front of the engine, This is for oiling the bearings but is this right? also on the right side of engine there is a nipple midway connected with a factory hose to the upper end cap nipple, just wondering if that routing was correct?
Sounds corredct but need serial # as there was some routing differences...
The distributor has what looks like a vent on top is this really necessary to have a hose connected to it and where does it connect?
You dont need the hose, just slip a short piece of hose and spark arrester cap from a later model inline on it...
Here is the drive shaft splines from lack of lube, the crank splines are the same way except worn less, I will assume and hope there is a lot of life left in these splines if lubed up properly...( please don't tell me its junk, I'm going to run it anyway) cross my fingers
Cross your fingers as this aint long lived( couple of years max)...
pulled the gear off the carrier, the clearance on the reverse gear for the fat o'ring is extreme?, probably a 1/4 inch of slop, is this even the right thrust washer? the pic in the parts book shows a shoulder and appears wider, I don't even know if this is a shim or a thrust washer? I am fairly certain this is the correct gear and the ball bearing is seated all the way in, I am kind of stumped on this one.
Press the gear back flush with bearing inner race, the thick washer rides on a step in lower unit housing and when you tighten cover nut it compresses the o-ring between washer and carrier to seal it. There may be shim on this step as this is reverse gear backlash setting. Everything is fine from picture....

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 650, have a few questions

Thanks once again Fazt for the detailed answer, glad your here on this forum.