Need some advice on a possible older evinrude purchase

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, So I came across what seems to me to be a pretty good deal the other day. A guy I know is selling a 94 60hp evinrude, the problem is the powerhead has been pulled due to either piston or cylinder damage. I have done some rebuilds, like ring replacment and did pretty well. The motors I've done were smaller. My questions is, what should I look for. The block is seperated and I should be able to see the pistons and inside of the cylinders. If the cylinders are scared at all, they should be able to be machined, right?? The price is really good, but I was wondering if anyone knows of problems I should look for as far as the block goes. Everything is there and the motor looks like it is in really good shape, as far as I can tell through pictures. I am planning on looking at it later this week so any advice in advance would be great. I feel confident in rebuilding one but I just dont know what to look for as far as problems go. Thanks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Need some advice on a possible older evinrude purchase

Make sure the block has no cracks. Also, check to see that the bores will clean up with a reasonable OS, 0.020 or 0.030 over. The crank is probably the single biggest money item. Check the journals for signs of overheating (blueish), or other damage. Try to determine why the PH failed, or you will be rebuilding a second time. Get an OEM shop manual, so it goes back together correctly and use a outboard marine machine shop to do the machine work.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Jim, the hard part is not putting the powerhead back together, it is knowing why it failed the first time. More info/pics and troubleshooting might help with this.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the above. Do a LOT of homework before buying it.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check everything carefully, one mans "good deal" is another mans pile of assorted paperweights.

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I wish I had better pictures of it. I mean the ones I have show the block and pistons but I cant see stuff with great detail. I think I know what to look for in the cylinders but where would cracks be in the block?

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Also, does anyone have experience with these motors? I mean, do they perform well? Is it worth a rebuild? I have a 2 cylinder 50 hp now and if I get this one it is a 3 cylinder 60hp with vro. Mine is disconnected. This motor comes with the vro tank also. Mine is a 89, will the controls for it work on the other motor, it is a 94.

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Any other advice??

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have had a 1980 70hp 3 cyclinder motor for 10 years & it is the most dependable motor I have owned.

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I picked up that motor today. I got it for less then I expected. It looks good. Everything is there. The block has already been worked and is ready to go. The crank looks good too, no strange colors or scoring. Upon further inspection I think I found the problem or at lease the by product. 2 of the pistons are bad. One is scorned on the sides, the other is melted on the top and around the rings. It looks to me like it ran lean at some point. It does have VRO which might have been the problem. I dont want to get ahead of myself but is there a way to check the mixture with VRO, to make sure it is working properly?? Also, turns out it is a 92 not a 94, which is why I got it for less. I checked the lower unit the best I could, it goes in and out and doesnt have any extra play as far as I can tell. So pretty much just have to get pistons and put it back together. Should I assume the bore size is differant now that the block has been worked. The one good piston was installed and seemed snug. It is the original unless he put bigger rings on it. Should I have it check by a machine shop to make sure?? Any suggestions for a good place to find pistons? Thanks

jgriner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey im no expert, but just seen someone asking, how do i check the vro, in the forums the other day. it was suggested that they run premix, plus the vro tank, then just check to make sure its pulling from vro tank, running double oil shouldnt hurt any thing, but then again, im no expert, it was here in the forums about 2 or 3 days ago, maybe a quick search and u might be able to find it..... good luck

flaxterra

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info, I think I may have come across that post in my searching around. I also came across a service bulliten that has to do with overheating and causeing cylinder 2 damage. Guess what, number 2 is the one that is melted. This is good news because now I know what caused the problem. I really just need to focus on getting the pistons and putting it back together. Once I do that, I will address the service bulliten to try and make sure this does not happen again. After that I will worry about he VRO. If anyone knows anything about these bullitens, let me know. Thanks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Are you saying the block has had two holes already bored? If so, mic the holes to dwtermine the OS and get two new pistons and ring sets to match. Get an OEM shop manual so you assemble it right. YYou will need all new gaskets, and probably some seals.