3.0 starting question

chappy239

Recruit
Need some help please. I have a 1997 Crownline 182 w/ the 3.0 engine. This is my 9th season with this boat. Launched it today, fired the engine and ran great. We took the boat out 3-4 times today, no problems. My wife and I went down to the boat tonight to take a short ride and move the boat from our dock, to its mooring. Flicked on the blower, turned the key to start and heard a pop in the engine compartment, and that was it, dead.. Now the blower won't work, outdrive won't operate, and no horn. bilge pump works, and gauge cluster powers up when I turn the switch. My first thought was the 50 amp circuit breaker above the engine, but from what I can tell it doesn't look like it popped. Any ideas? Could the RED circuit breaker be bad?

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 3.0 starting question

What else have you done? Other than try the switches!
Usually, things don't make a noise. Things that do, battery & coil. Batteries "pop" from a direct short. Coils can short but unlikely.

jgoeden

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you try that circuit breaker or just look at it?

Can you further describe the pop? Like a bang, or a click? Or in between?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

check bettery cable connections at both ends of the pos and neg, dont forget the neg at the block.

chappy239

Recruit

The noise was more of a click, which is why I thought the 50 amp breaker popped. I tried pushing it in, but wouldn't move. I pushed hard enough that the breaker broke free from the holder that it sets in.
Did you try that circuit breaker or just look at it?

Can you further describe the pop? Like a bang, or a click? Or in between?

chappy239

Recruit

I did check the battery connections at the battery, but didn't think about checking the connestions at the other end. I guess my big question is do things like the outdrive lift and engine room blower run off that same circuit? I didn't even turn the key to start, just to the ON position.
check bettery cable connections at both ends of the pos and neg, dont forget the neg at the block.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Outdrive trim pump has a seperate connection to the battery. Have you checked the voltage at the battery?

chappy239

Recruit

Hey guys, thank you for all of the suggestions with my starting problem. I wanted to report that the whole issue was just a bad battery. It hadn't given any early warnings that the battery was tired, so I didn't even consider that when everything went dead. I suspected the worst.
After load testing the battery it was clear that it was done. At rest the battery would read 12.7 all day. Pushing the trim button, or turning the ignition key the voltage would drop to 4.5 - 5 volts.
New battery, and we had a great weekend. Thanks again.... :)

CobiaXL

Banned

Better check and make sure alternator is charging..One way to find out is pull positive terminal off while engine is running,if it shuts off u got bad alternator if not your good to go.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Better to test battery with a voltage meter.

~12 volts when engine not running
~13.5 volts when running