2006 Optimax 115 "Bonehead move"

fyshy

Recruit
My son pulled a bonehead move last night (wonder why he acts just like I used to?).

Getting ready to head out for some bowfishing and he decided to add some gas. This is a good sign because he usually just burns gas. The only problem was, he poured it in the 2 cycle oil reservoir on the outboard. Yes, he did.

Thankfully he realized what he had done and did not crank the engine. What should I do? I have a hand pump so I think I will pump out the gas/oil then refill with new oil. Hopefully, I can then just crank her up and go fishing.

Looks to me like the gas is on top and the oil is on bottom. Think I need to take the reservoir out? Take it to mechanic just to be safe?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: 2006 Optimax 115 "Bonehead move"

Remove the remote (boat) tank and empty out the tank and reinstall, fill the tank back up with oil. You might need to prime the oil injector to get the system primed. To do this, turn on the key (just key on) and move the remote control from N to F and and back five times (remove the cowl and pysically go back and watch for any air bubbles in the lines). After you do this the engine will really smoke and may rev up for a few seconds. This will 1 prime the oil injector and 2 reset the break in. After you have filled the oil in the resevoir make sure all caps are tight and hoses are not kinked or obstructed and air tight. Resetting the breakin will not hurt anything, if it is taken to dealership they will see breakin active.