using composite for new floor in my boat

bud03420

Cadet
i was givin a 92 wellcraft excel that needs to be rebuilt and was wondering if i can use the composite wood for the decking will the fiberglass stick to it i figure if im gonna rebuild it pay the money and make it a no rot boat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: useing composite for new floor in my boat

Welcome to iBoats!

Composite Wood??? Not sure what you are referring to! Please explain

rickryder

Commander

If your referring to composite decking thats a no go in a boat....way too heavy. Just use plywood and make sure it's well glassed and it will out live you!

bud03420

Cadet

If your referring to composite decking thats a no go in a boat....way too heavy. Just use plywood and make sure it's well glassed and it will out live you![/QUOTE

yes composite wood, i use it to make cabinets its really no heavier than plywood and just as duriable

we just put it on my brothers pontoon boat and seemes to be great but we covered it with carpet and no need to glass it on his boat it was just an idea i will probably just go ahead and use plywood i was just wondering if anybody had tried it

bud03420

Cadet

Welcome to iBoats!

Composite Wood??? Not sure what you are referring to! Please explain

composite wood is plastic wood basically its pretty cool stuff i make outdoor cabinet out of it

rickryder

Commander

Bud..... are you talking about 5/4 decking or 3/4 composite skirt board? I'm a contractor and use that product all the time. 5/4 decking is heavier than acq decking..... anyway stick with 5/8" underlayment plywood fiberglassed ...... The wood rots because of neglect and holes in the deck from seat bases or anything mounted to the deck thas not sealed.....Just don't leave the boat uncovered and filling with water and snow.....it won't rot if it's taken care of properly ;)