Johnson FD-19D Shifting issue

JoeSlab

Cadet
Hi all...I have a Johnson 18hp model # FD-19D I have only had the engine a little over a year.

I got it tuned up and running nicely last season however the last time I had it out at the end of the season it made some clunking noises for lack of a better description. Almost sounded as if I had hit something but I def. did not.

I'm finally getting around to tinkering with it as I am looking to unload my setup in search of something else. I would like to get it back in good shape if at all possible before sale to get the most out of it.

I had it running in the barrel today and it was running fine/idleing for a good half hour while I talked to my neighbor. It had me scratching my head honestly so I shut it off and went about some other business for an hour or so. When I fired it back up it once again repeated the clunking noise and then shut off. There now seems to be some play to the pull rope.

I don't have much experience with any form of motor...this is the first one I ever really worked on pretty much re-doing the carb and putting in new fuel pump/plugs nothing major. Anyone have any clue as to where I might start looking for issues and if I should attempt to mess with it? I'm pretty good at figuring things out with a little guidance so hopefully that's the case. Also is there a place online I can even get parts for a motor this old? I think its from 65'....

thanks for any help!

JoeSlab

Cadet
Re: Johnson FD-19D Shifting issue

Is this a project your average person with some mechanical ability can handle or am I better off taking it to a shop?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson FD-19D Shifting issue

Not hard. You just have to seal it up good afterwards.