pair of 2001 Ocean Pros won't idle after running.

moonie

Cadet
I have a pair of 2001 Ocean Pro's on a 25 foot Wellcraft that idle fine when cold. When I run the boat for 30 minutes to an hour, then anchor for 30 minutes or more, the motors will not run at idle. I can dock the boat overnight, and the cold motors will idle fine. The process then repeats. I've changed the plugs, changed the filters/ seperators, and run de-carbonizer thru twice with no improvement. Can anyone offer help or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

moonie

Cadet
Re: pair of 2001 Ocean Pros won't idle after running.

I've found 4 other people on this forum having the exact issues I'm having here, and there doesn't seem to be anyone that has any ideas? I'm desperate here! Anyone? Anyone?

moonie

Cadet

I really need help here. I've found this same issue in other posts, but no one seems to have any idea what this could be. I'm spending a lot of money trying different things, and nothing seems to help. ANYONE have ANY ideas? Please?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Moonie, I am also awaiting a possible cause/fix for those symptoms. Hang in there, and maybe someone will come up with some good theorys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The mitigation is to advance the throttles in neutral and let the motors run at fast idle until they clear up. They will then run normally. At least my motor does.

levi_tsk

Ensign

are these the ficht fuel injection motors?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

there is a lot of info that is needed to fully help you, id guess. modele numbers a little motor history, I know that many motors have a fast idle upon initial start...your motor might seem to run fine on that cold start fast idle....but doesnt run right afterwards...which leads me to think the idle really isnt SET....

there is a tune up called sybchronization and linkage adjustment that needs to be set right before other tune up proceedures can follow...maybe your motor is out!!!

after that is set THEN you can set idle timing

heck we dont even know what horsepower you have....the idle timing varies depending on the HP

bob

I may be way off base here but one thing comes to mind. Does the poor warm idle condition exist on both motors simultaneously? My thought here would be to check the systems that both motors share (fuel supply, controls, etc.).

Is it acting like there is too much fuel entering the combustion chambers at idle (flooding)? Is there excessive smoke and stumbling or does the engine just flat out die like you shut it down? How are the spark plugs reading? How is compression? Any water present in the cylinders?

If you were to throttle up again back on to plane, will the motors respond or do they stumble? What I am asking is; is the poor running condition present exclusively at idle or does it exist at other places in the power band?

I hope that this was at least of some assistance. My specialty is older, smaller engines so I could be completely wrong. Best of luck.

moonie

Cadet

Both motors are 150s. I have the same problem with both not wanting to idle after running, then shutting down to fish. The starboard motor will clear up after running at fast idle for a few minutes, however, the port motor will not.

I've checked the fuel, fuel supply, controls, seperators, etc. and all check normal.

The engines will start fine, but then die as if they're fuel starved. They fire right back up, then die, repeat.

The compression is good on all cylinders. Both motors smoke, but they've done that on start up since I've owned the boat (3 years). Both run great with no hesitation or stumbling on plane or anywhere else in the power band except at idle after running and shutting down for a time.

I called a different mechanic than I normally use yesterday (the local Evinrude dealer) and he told me the Johnsons are suceptible to the carburetor bowl becoming mal-formed over time which he said could cause the issue, and suggested a carb overhaul on both motors. I'm willing to do that if it will fix the issue, but I don't want to just throw money at the problem hoping for a cure and this is a major expense.

levi_tsk

Ensign

yeah we feel you 12 new carb bowls cant be cheap.....
how about taking your hoods off and looking for leaks while your out there and its acting up?? if it IS the bowls theyll probably be leaking AND you might be able to isolate it down to just a couple of the carbs?

just looked and even on marineengine.com youre looking at 432 bux worth of parts alone plus an hour for each carb for labor your looking at 1512 bux for a carb job -pardon my french but DAMN!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

you said that the motor runs great at idel when cold ...right???? for how long?

if that is the case, id say it IS NOT the carbs,,,the carbs are sticky hot or cold...if they are crudded up, the crud doesnt just appear only when the motors are warm...

Id guess that you have just an idle setting issue...probably the last guy that did it barely set it and he probably did BOTH motors at the same time..

get a factory manual if you iontend to keep going down the do it yourself path...and read up on how those motors are timed and the idle is set...

if you dont have leaks, then you dont have distorted carb bowl issues...

those carbs did leak often out of the brass bead that is used to close up a construction passage molded into the carb bowls. you can see those places on the carbs on the starboard units....but you cant see them on the port carbs

good luck

bob

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob J has a good point about the brews bead
leaking fuel. Try pumping the primer bulb before
restarting to make sure carbs are full.
If you think it's lean after restarting try bumping
the choke.
Have you ran at idle with the plastic carb cover off
to make sure a carb is not flooding?
Make sure the choke primers are turned off,
in the normal run position.
Make sure vapor-sep is not flooding, and both
fuel pump diaphragms are not leaking.
(both fuel pumps on each motor) :)

hydrasport22

Cadet

I fixed mine with the exact same issue. I changed the coils and the plug wires.

Ran the boat hard and hot (hot out) and could pull the throttle back to 700 rpm idle and it has not quit once.

NOT ONCE. And we have run it at least 15 hours since.

It appeared to me that there were three bad plug wires. The top two were chaffed from the cover. One was bad from salt water getting on it when the rubber cap started to weep salt water that dripped on the wire.

I changed the PLUGS no difference.
I rebuilt the CARBS no difference.
I checked the Timining no difference.
I sanded all electrical connections no difference.
checked link and sync as best as possible no problem
dbl checked cooling everything good there.
checked and retightened all fuel lines
changed the pump ball
drained and checked the tank to make sure it was clean etc etc

Nothing I did changed the problem really at all.

When I changed the coils and the Spark Plug wires the problem went away.

Thank GOD!!!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I fixed mine with the exact same issue. I changed the coils and the plug wires.

Ran the boat hard and hot (hot out) and could pull the throttle back to 700 rpm idle and it has not quit once.

NOT ONCE. And we have run it at least 15 hours since.

It appeared to me that there were three bad plug wires. The top two were chaffed from the cover. One was bad from salt water getting on it when the rubber cap started to weep salt water that dripped on the wire.

I changed the PLUGS no difference.
I rebuilt the CARBS no difference.
I checked the Timining no difference.
I sanded all electrical connections no difference.
checked link and sync as best as possible no problem
dbl checked cooling everything good there.
checked and retightened all fuel lines
changed the pump ball
drained and checked the tank to make sure it was clean etc etc

Nothing I did changed the problem really at all.

When I changed the coils and the Spark Plug wires the problem went away.

Thank GOD!!!!

I wonder if it would not have been a good idea to go back and replace one of those item to learn which it was, or if it was a combo of both!!!

was it the coils that were bad, or was it the plug wires that were bad?

bob

bob

hydrasport22

Cadet

ha ha ha

you must not have this problem. It just sucked I'm not touching it. The $ for the formed (correct) wires and coils we minimal. So I suggest changing them all out together.

It didn't hurt that I did all that other stuff but I wish I would of started with the coils and wires.

moonie

Cadet

Thanks to Hydra Sports. I'll try this first. Much cheaper than a re-build on the carbs for both motors and will report back once this is complete!