AQ171 Renix crankshaft position sender ?

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been running tests on the Renix electrical system of my AQ171 because of idle issues. I found that my crankshaft position sender is reading at 198 ohms which is within range for testing but it hits the 198 ohms and then drops down to 1 really fast. Is this correct or should it stay at a consistent 198? I pulled the cable off the engine and it appears to have been repaired at some point. It looks to have had a crack in it that was glued. When the engine is running it is at 10 degrees btdc. I just want to be sure the test is correct or if I need to replace this. I have replaced plug wires and I just do not want to start replacing something unless it is needed.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ171 Renix crankshaft position sender ?

That is normal, it's an inductor, not a resistor.

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Even though the sender tests ok I cannot get the engine to run. I tested spark and it is good but the timing light does not flash when trying to turn the engine over.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I tested spark and it is good but the timing light does not flash when trying to turn the engine over.

How are you checking for spark, and where are you hooking your timing light to see if it flashes?

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a spark tester that plugs into the spark plug wire. I am hooking the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire, positive to battery and ground to ground on engine and I tried ground on battery. I have had no luck with it working. The light was working fine yesterday and the engine was running fine. Not sure what has change but it is not working. I have testing the coil and control box and they passed all the tests. I am not sure why the engine will not start, but I am guessing my new light may have went bad.

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I think I have figured out a lot of my rough running issues. I put in new spark plug wires because they looked rough, but I was told the distributor cap and rotor were new and the engine only ran a few times with them. I decided to look anyway and the cap and rotor are in really bad shape. Looks like the soot in the cap was causing to to arch. I have everything apart and I am in the process of ordering new parts from Napa but I cannot get the rotor off. From the book it looks like it just pops off but it is really stuck. Can anyone give me any insight into that?