Popping in and out of gear at certain throttle position

Madsupra88

Recruit
Hello everyone,
Recently purchased a 1970 Jupiter v starcraft (aluminum) with a 1969 55HP johnson attached to it (55es69a)

Motor starts up and idles perfect everytime!

When I took it out on the water, I was having forward issues. The boat goes into reverse perfect, but the forward is a little tricky!

From idle as the shifter is in the neutral position, I start to move the lever forward, its starts to rev up, but no motion at all until I get to a certain spot which is half throttle, and out of no where it kicks into gear and starts moving forward at about 5mph, But if I move the lever a hair forward or backwards it just pops out of gear and revs, with no forward motion from the boat.

First thing I looked into was the adjustments on the cables, and made sure they are good and move freely (regreased)

Another strange problem is that when the lever is in the neutral postition, the prop does not spin freely , if I spin the prop is turns the motor over like it's still in gear! Even when I dissconected the throttle cable, and shift it manually , the prop is never able to spin freely.

So im starting to think its a lower unit problem, but some parts are obsolete. I would buy the manual, but wanted to get some opinions before i start to tear into it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Saif

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Popping in and out of gear at certain throttle position

You have a hydro-electric shift lower unit. It will default to forward if there is a pump or electrial problem in the lower unit. Is there any water in the lower unit, does the lower unit oil in good shape, does it need to be flushed or changed?

Madsupra88

Recruit
Re: Popping in and out of gear at certain throttle position

You have a hydro-electric shift lower unit. It will default to forward if there is a pump or electrial problem in the lower unit. Is there any water in the lower unit, does the lower unit oil in good shape, does it need to be flushed or changed?

When i drained it before winter, it did have water in there with oil. but i havnt filled it up yet. will do before i test it. also i see a couple wires that are missing the shielding and coroded . i will rewire them tomorrow. anything else i should check for?

thanks again
-Saif