Battery or charging electrical issue - 35 HP Mercury Outboard - 1988

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,
Could someone point me in the right direction. I have a 1988 Mercury 35 HP Outboard. The battery was new last season and I kept it on a battery tender all winter. I launched this weekend and the battery keeps running dead. I am wondering if it is a charging issue (rectifier or other)? I tried disconnecting both battery connections and the outboard continues to run which I assume is a good sign. While they were disconnected and the motor was running, I did a voltage check between the positive and negative terminals. I get no DC reading. What next?
Thanks!
Ron

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Battery or charging electrical issue - 35 HP Mercury Outboard - 1988

Never Ever disconnect battery while outboard running.Will damage ignition and various electricals.This should never be done with any engine.

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, that was a bad move. Any comments on troubleshooting this further?
Thanks,
Ron

Never Ever disconnect battery while outboard running.Will damage ignition and various electricals.This should never be done with any engine.

Laddies

Banned

The quickest way to check output is hook a volt meter across the battery terminals start the engine and see if you gain voltage. otherwise check for contiuity between the 3 yellow wires at the rectifier (disconnected from the rrctifier) and here's the rectifier test.
scan-4.jpg

rstier

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perfect, thanks. At least the rectifier is easy to get at on this one.

The quickest way to check output is hook a volt meter across the battery terminals start the engine and see if you gain voltage. otherwise check for contiuity between the 3 yellow wires at the rectifier (disconnected from the rrctifier) and here's the rectifier test.
scan-4.jpg