'56 Fastwin 15 Hp plumbing

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
I got this thing from my father in law, to make it run and sell. No spark at either plug wire, although it looks like brand new black coils. Points look a little scatty, so I'll replace those, and check for fire again. In rooting around in there, I'm seeing that somebody has converted the motor to a single line, with the addition of a fuel pump on one of the port covers. What I don't get, is this 'manifold nipple', as the 'rude parts list calls it. It looks like it should have a small hose on it, or at least be plugged. What's it for? It's # 49 in this pic;

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/ITEM_2747/ITEM_274700001.htm

jbjennings

Captain
Re: '56 Fastwin 15 Hp plumbing

The nipple is for providing air for the fuel tank to lightly pressurize the tank in order to push fuel up to the motor in a 2-line system. Since yours has been converted, it's no longer needed and should be plugged off.
Just because the coils look good, doesn't mean they are, but it's very unlikely if they both have no cracks, that they are the problem. Properly gapped CLEAN points and good condensers will likely fix it. Condensers are likely good but they're cheap, so.....
Make sure you check and properly screw in the plug wires into the coils, looking for corroded plug wire ends. New plug wires wouldn't hurt and are only about 3$ apiece at laingsoutboards.com
Good luck,
JBJ

Last edited:

levi_tsk

Ensign

that was for the two line pressure tank put a vacuume cap on it if it pops off someone didnt change it over to the single line correctly ... and you can just leave it open as its designed to blow air out-theres some valves under the reed plate that need to be taken out before you plug it save em and send em with the motor as the next guy might want em theyre part number 13-16 in that same pic

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you, gentlemen, once again, I'm delighted, and unsurprised by the excellent responses. Onward thru the fog!