1998 Yamaha 40 hp 3 cyl. won't start

tral99

Recruit
I was in the process of heading back to the dock when the engine just shut off, found that the gas line had come apart after primmer bulb. Starter ingages but won't start. :confused:Any help would be appreciated

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Yamaha 40 hp 3 cyl. won't start

You need to get the fuel line hooked back up and prime the motor again to get the fuel into the carbs

spottail1

Recruit

I have 40hp yamaha that the kill switch had to be jiggled before it would start,

tral99

Recruit

I hooked the fuel line back up and drained the fuel filter, but I think water may have been sucked into the carbs. If I add isopropal to the gas will this help to get rid of the water or should I drain the bowls on the carbs?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

If you have water in the carbs there is a chance that the you sucked water into the motor also, which means there is rust already forming on the crank shaft and bearings.
iT WOULD BE BEST TO PULL AND CLEAN CARBS AND ALL LINES AND PUMP THAT COULD HAVE WATER IN THEM AND GET THE MOTOR RUNNING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO GET ANNY WATER OR SALT OFF OF THE SHINY SURFACES ON THE INSIDE OF MOTOR.

Sorry for the caps, finger slipped. but I am not retyping it