Who's the best on-the-water "Towing Insurance" company?

emoney

Commander
I didn't make a "poll" because I don't know anything about it, so enlighten me please. I've looked at the "BoatUS Towing" and the "SeaTow" websites. Seatow is a little more expensive, but they both operate out of my area. Which one is better and are there other options? Watched a neighbor get towed back tonight and had another 'limp in", so I definitely want to add somebody's, just don't know who is the best.

And, ftr, I know that "cheaper isn't always better", as reaction times, professionalism, etc. all play a factor. Of course, there's nothing wrong with saving money so if you've got any 'coupon codes' you'd like to pass along, don't let me stand in your way:D

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has had a great Memorial Day Weekend thus far with even more fun planned for tomorrow. Nothing beats being off work on a Monday, I don't think.;)

emoney

Commander
Re: Who's the best on-the-water "Towing Insurance" company?

That's all right, as long as I'm off work!

I think I'm going with BoatUS anyway. The local captain was in the news recently for saving a kid out of the drink and was very humble about it when they tried to call him a "hero". Said that the real heroes are overseas fighting for us and the police and firemen that are on the line everyday. Probably a silly reason, but a good enough one for me. Now that I've bought, I hope I never, ever have to use it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I'm just guessing here, but both services probably contract everything out to local captains so you'd probably get the same tow from either service. I have BoatUS since that's where I have my insurance. Really my towing is my kicker motor, followed by my oars (w/ oarlocks), but I definitely wouldn't try to row in 10 miles, even with oarlocks!

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

id go with whatever company was closer to where you boat. waiting 2 hours for a tow sucks. FWIW, boat US is affiliated with west marine and you get to be a gold member and get shopping points. for anyone who is on the fence whether to spend the cash on tow insurance, i got towed twice last year and both times would have been $450 :eek: if i didn't have insurance. they charge from the time they leave there dock until they get back to there dock.

sasto

Captain

Sea Tow for me due to my location. I have become familuar with a few of their captains and get good response. I believe every location has it's priority and service.

I've been towed a few times, but never on an old beat up boat with a ton of hours that gets used frequently. Always has been on a newer boat that the owner rarely takes out, if at all. Surprizes me on how many boat owners around here have a boat at their dock for looks only. I take a boat out for a shakedown that hasn't been used in a year before the owner arrives. Better have my Sea Tow card with me. Give me an old slug that gets used often vs. a newer boat with few hours on her anyday!

Good luck in your choice, both are good.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boating in Florida, must be alot different than around here. Around here boaters help each other out, with a ski rope or anchor line. I have towed many a boat back to the dock through the years, some of them pretty good size. Been offered money a few times, didnt take it, just helping out. But offer me a beer and im there!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

tonk62, Same thing in Florida and here on the Great Lakes, but the water off shore is clearer of floating logs and the other debris form all the run off. I run at least 5 miles off shore and up to 12 miles. On the bucket list is a trip to Canada across Lake Erie, so a tow service is well worth the money. We broke a starter just after sunset about 12 miles out and had to call Boat US, not another boat in site.
Been 90+ miles out in the Gulf and the Atlantic, just a whole different boating than even the great lakes.
Big props to the salt water guys.
Props to you too tonk for giving a hand in need.

jasperboy

Seaman

+1 for Boat US on the Great Lakes. Blew an impeller this morning on Sandusky Bay on our way to the Lake Erie Islands at about 10:00am. Called the number on the card, got a live person on the first ring who patched us to the local Lake Erie Towing who is also a member of Tow Boat US. They made sure everyone was safe, and that we had no medical emergency. We said just an overheating engine and gave our coordinates, 1/2 hour later the tow boat arrived and pulled us back to our slip. Had already called the marina who had sent a repair guy over as soon as we got in. By 2:00pm we were back in business! That is fantastic service on Memorial Day!