HELP PLEASE 1990 JOHNSON GT 200 tilt trim motor installation

I have a Stratos 201XL, 1990 Johnson GT 200 and it also has a Hydraulic Jack Plate. My tilt trim motor has gone out, I tried to jump the two wires straight to the battery just to make sure it was the motor. I noticed the motor has been whining for about the past 6 months or so of use and finally the other day it quit working.

OK my question is: can someone point me to a diagram/instruction detail that will show me how to install the tilt trim motor or what all is invloved to install this. I am trying to determne if I need to take it to the boat mechanic or if I can do it myself. I am very savy on things like this but I'm concerned if I am going to have to pull the motor off etc then I do not have the equipment to remove the motor off the boat. So if anyone can tell me if it is a simple procedure or not and as stated it does have a hydraulic jack plate but I didn't know if the jack plate would get in the way of replacing the tilt trim motor or not.

Thanks in advance for all the input and help and also any detail/instruction sheet someone might could send me or direct me to.

TODD

Re: HELP PLEASE 1990 JOHNSON GT 200 tilt trim motor installation

I've got the same engine, and according to my OMC shop manual (which I highly recommend if you don't have one), you pull the entire tilt/trim assembly and then can easily replace the motor. I don't have the manual in front of me right now, but I believe pulling the entire assembly is pretty straightforward. Take a look and see if you can figure it out, if not I can dig out the manual.

OH WOW then does that mean I will have to pull the motor to pull the ASSEM?.....I believe the hydraulic jack plate is in the way of all the trim assembly?

The photo in the OMC manual shows the entire unit coming out straight aft. According to the manual "Remove one nut from each thrust rod. Remove thrust rods from stern brackets. Remove trim/tilt unit, as shown (photo shows the complete assembly being lifted out straight to the rear), and pull control cable through stern bracket. " Judging by the photo it looks like the unit is just held in place by the thrust rods, I doubt if anything on your jack plate is in the way.

OK Great thanks....I keep my boat in my boat house here right behind my house and haven't taken it out of the water yet to really investigate any further but that sounds great. I am going to put it on the trailor in the morning and pull it around front in the driveway and see what I can do......I'm a little concerned about not being able to trim it up once I get it on the trailor...is there a way to get it to come up by maybe a bledder valve or by taken the pressure off the hydraulics etc????

Thanks for all your input here I greatly appreciate it.
TODD
OH one more thing do you by chance have a link or a PDF to the assembly and replacement instructions etc if there is such???

The photo in the OMC manual shows the entire unit coming out straight aft. According to the manual "Remove one nut from each thrust rod. Remove thrust rods from stern brackets. Remove trim/tilt unit, as shown (photo shows the complete assembly being lifted out straight to the rear), and pull control cable through stern bracket. " Judging by the photo it looks like the unit is just held in place by the thrust rods, I doubt if anything on your jack plate is in the way.

There's a manual release valve on the starboard side of the unit. There's a note that says not to open the manual release more than 1 1/2 turns.

The motor itself is just mounted with three screws, should be a piece of cake once the unit's removed.

Look around on ebay for a factory manual, that's by far your best bet.

OK my friend thank you very much for all your help and input, I will definitley get me a manual....I can see where it would be a huge asset to me for this engine. I'll update you and let you know how it goes tomorrow after I get it out of the water......

Sorry for all the questions but do you know of the best place for me to get me a tilt trim motor and do you know which one it takes, I did a search and what I saw was a two wire motor and a three wire motor....when I chased it up to under the engine cowl and I did the battery jump test there were only two wires there but I wasn't for sure that perhaps down by the motor if there was a third wire....If you have the part number to the one I need that would be awesome. Thanks again my friend for all your help....you have been great,

TODD

There's a manual release valve on the starboard side of the unit. There's a note that says not to open the manual release more than 1 1/2 turns.

The motor itself is just mounted with three screws, should be a piece of cake once the unit's removed.

Look around on ebay for a factory manual, that's by far your best bet.

Look at www.shop2.evinrude.com , there are diagrams and part numbers for everything on your engine, along with list prices. With that information there are any number of online marine parts stores (including iboats).

RedsFearMe

Recruit

If you are only changing the motor, you can remove it after you pull the top wrist pin and let the assembly tilt out from the stern. It is fairly easy.