Took the boat out this morning....bad idea

edwar355

Cadet
Johnson 150 95' model
Took the boat out this morning and she fired up going off the boat ramp...beached it and parked the truck....pushed off and she started up just fine again. Got out of the no wake zone and throttled it up and she plain'd just like she was new but when on a plain i got a little spit so i backed off the throttle and it cleared up so i got back into it and it ran GREAT. Drove around for a second at a good cruising speed and then she just cut off. :facepalm: No spit or sputter, no bogging down. Popped the top on the motor and disconnected the big red plug and jumped the solenoid....no start. Unhooked the black connector with the two yellow wires...and she fired up. Put it in gear and she cut off again and wouldn't start back. :mad: I plugged everything back up and put the top back on and got out the ol' trolling motor and headed back...then the batteries started to die out on me :eek: So I figured i'd give the motor one more shot and she fired right up and got us back to the ramp and never cut off again while loading up.

So theres my story for today....what do yall thinks wrong with her:confused:

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Took the boat out this morning....bad idea

The "no spit, no sputter" abrupt cut off would point me to an electrical issue. You disconnected the stop wires (good idea) and it still cut out. That would tend to eliminate the ignition switch and kill lanyard switch. Not really a chance in heck that all 3 coils would go out precisely at one time. I think that leaves the power pack? Check all of the wiring and terminals, including the grounds, carefully.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd look toward the power pack or the OSI sensor.

edwar355

Cadet

Got a new Power Pack and that cured it! We took her out yesterday and she ran great! Thanks for yalls help!!!!!

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This right here is why I love this site. Good job guys

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was gonna say powerpack cause i had the same symptoms and that was what it was.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Smuggler, I love the pict you got posted with your name. Good Job !!!