Alternator Wiring

wisdompw

Recruit
I have a 1972 OMC inline 6 cylinder motor. I recently had the motor rebuilt and in the process of hooking up the old wire to the alternator, I noticed the main wire to the alternator (prestolite) was too short. The previous owner routed the wire around the wrong side of the motor. I went to splice the wire and noticed the wire inside the insulation just crumbled and turned to rusty dust. At the end of the wire where you hook it up to the alternator there is a mass of some sort with rubber insulation encapsulating it. I was told it is called a "gum ball fuse". Does anyone know if this can be replaced with a different type of fuse? The repair shop told me they don't make these types of fused anymore and I have not seen anything on the internet with that name. Also, is there a pre-made harness or wire theat I can purchase or do I need to make my own? Thanks for your help. I am new to this and appreciate any guidance.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Alternator Wiring

you can still buy the (980192 CABLE ASSEMBLY, Engine) wiring harness from Evinrude for about $35, however, I don't see that fuse in the harness, althought the pic isn't very telling...
54384.gif

that fuse does appear on the V8 schematic.
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/wiring/73_OMC_V8_all_big.jpg
You could go somewhere they sell car stereos and find a main power fuse that matches the alt output rating (60A would probably be a safe bet), but with rotten wires, $35 seems to be a deal.

wisdompw

Recruit

Thank you very much. Do you have a diagram that shows what the number labeling represents (a description of what the wires connect to)? This helps me alot!

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

no, I don't have that - the numbers are just ring, spade, and knife terminals that can be ordered separately

shop.evinrude.com for parts pages