Very loud exhaust

BSM

Cadet
I have a 1986 200hp Evenrude. The exhaust is very loud, is there any way to quiet the exhaust. Most of the noise comes from the mid section exhaust ports.

BSM

Cadet
Re: Very loud exhaust

In the water, on muffs doesn't matter. As the boat planes off it gets extremley loud, ear breaking.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is this loud in comparison to other V6 outboards that you have been around, or loud in comparison to a car? "Loud" is kind of a relative term.......

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sounds like somebody drilled the mid. Look under the cavitation plate and see if there's a series of 3/8" holes. At one time somebody put out the word that this would increase performance. It doesn't.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Also..... It is possible that someone neglected to install the exhaust tube extension that fits into the large inner exhaust hole of the lower unit. Many a mechanic has installed a lower unit, then looked and found that extension sitting on his workbench... a good mechanic then removes the lower unit again and does the job properly, BUT there are some who just don't bother, and that causes NOISE!

BSM

Cadet

There is 3/8 holes in the mid section that i have not seen on any other outboard that I have had over the years. Is there a way to close them off. when i run the motor on muffs those holes are where the majority of the noise is coming from. As for the post of is it comparable to other outboards no. Its louder than a cigarette or fountain boat.

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you post some pics of the holes you are talking about?

BSM

Cadet

Yes i can take some pics. It will take alittle time but i will post asap. Thanks for the info guys.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check what Joe Reeves said above. I've seen mechanics do the same thing.

BSM

Cadet

Is the exhaust extention tube a rubber tube? Is there a way to fill the holes in the mid section? I am working on the pics of the holes but had some camera problems. will try again tomorrow. Thanks for all the help

BSM

Cadet

Also my motor is smoking alot. i mix the oil at 50 to 1 can it be ajusted at the carb or do i ajust by changing to a 40 to 1 mixture.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You can fill them in. I've seen them tapped and plugged and I've filled them with epoxy. Pull the lower unit off and you should be able to put piece of tape on the inside to keep the epoxy from running out. You can also just use jbweld. There's not a significant amount of pressure there just a lot of noise.

D

DJ

Also my motor is smoking alot. i mix the oil at 50 to 1 can it be ajusted at the carb or do i ajust by changing to a 40 to 1 mixture.

40:1 is richer than 50:1. And, NO don't change it.

BSM

Cadet

Thanks for the info i will try the apoxy. I knew 40 to 1 is more oil just had a brain frez.
How do I get the motor to stop smoking, or at least cut it down some. smokes more when idling or just in gear.
Thanks again

Port Monster

Cadet

Thanks for the info i will try the apoxy. I knew 40 to 1 is more oil just had a brain frez.
How do I get the motor to stop smoking, or at least cut it down some. smokes more when idling or just in gear.
Thanks again

What kind of oil are you using? Sometimes changing oil makes a huge difference.