1996 175 Fast Strike Lower Unit

kingrichard

Recruit
I unfortunately had a lower unit failure of some sort due to low oil level (my dumb error), it is not locked up and still actually feels somewhat smooth, but when driving there was a sudden audible change in noise (got louder), i actually drove it another few miles to the marina. When i tried to shift from neutral to reverse it stalled and was very hard to shift in reverse. After pulling it out it didn't really feel too hot like I was expecting. Is it possible just a replaceable bearing of some sort went out?

So now at home it still very difficult feeling shifting to reverse. Shifting to forward is normal. When i drained what oil was left there were some filings on the plug and the oil was dark but no large pieces in there. The prop also still turns freely.

Is there any chance I can rebuild this thing at home? I am an experienced mechanic, just not totally familiar with OB's. Is there any special tools required to disassemble it? I ordered the service manual but it will take a few days before it arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1996 175 Fast Strike Lower Unit

If there are any metal particles in the oil, the lower unit should be torn down and inspected. I would wait for the manual, (factory I hope) it will have the proper procedure to tear down and inspect the lower unit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 175 Fast Strike Lower Unit

If you ran it low on oil look for some damage in your upper D/S area.