how to prepare my boat for a mooring

so i asked my neighborer for his mooring today and he said yes. i'm not sure of the weight it is a mushroom anchor about 50-85lbs i think that cause i can lift it but barely so it could be even 100lb idk. and it has 5-8' inch and half chain and than 5' rope to the surface the mooring is on the beach so i can pick were i want it i was planning on putting it in at low tide and about 20' from shore so at low tide it will be about 2-5 ' away. the sailboat is 16' so i need it at least that from shore has swings keel so i don't need much clearance was thinking about 2-3' at low tide. so was i really need to know is how and what to moor the boat with what kind a line from boat to bouy and how to instal cleats on the boat to tie to there isn't any cleat on the boat as of now.

emoney

Commander
Re: how to prepare my boat for a mooring

Lots of questions there. First things first; install the cleat as far forward as you can, or put two on. My last sailboat allow me to put one practically at the very tip of her bow so that way the line can go to either starboard or port. When you install it, use a backing plate up under the deck otherwise you'll come back one day to your boat gone as the waves and that line will pull through just the fiberglass. Preferrably a small rectangle of stainless steel, but use what you have. Second, us anchor line from the boat's cleat to the mooring itself. Think of that buoy as a floating anchor and take waves, tide and wind into consideration when you put on the "hook". It's call a "hook" because you usually need a hook on board to grab the mooring line, lol. Keep in mind the length of line when also considering the waves, tide etc. Look at other boats in the area that are already on the hook and you can get a feel for which way your boat will be swinging come morning.

You should be able to use a snap hook on the end of your anchor line to hook onto the mooring, but make sure you're attached to the chain, not the buoy itself. The buoy is only floating to help you find your line. That's why I like a premade anchor chain because it's already got an eye sewed into one end.

is there any other way to secure a cleat i don't have access to under the deck.

could i use the hook on the bow that is ment for the trailer to hook to?

emoney

Commander

If it's the sailboat you've posted pics of, why don't you have access? I'm talking about the "roof" of your boat at the very front of the "faux cabin" that you have. That's where you want it, and I wouldn't use the trailer eye because it's not as safe when hooking/unhooking. Are you sure you don't have a cleat up there already? You should have an access cubby hole to be able to crawl up into.

btw, a sailboat's "deck" is where you can walk. Your "floor" is called a sole inside the cabin. Hence the phrase, "I'll meet you up on deck"

o ya i could probably use that cubby and drill it from under neath that would work it the cleat wouldn't be centered or look good but if it works than it doesn't matter. how big a cleat should i get and what could i use for a backing plate piece of wood quarter inch or eight inch?

emoney

Commander

I'd use 1/2" wood and not plywood. Use something sturdy and coat it with at least a good outdoor paint. If you're using wood, use a 'hard wood' not a pine, etc. Look around the garage and make sure there isn't some scrap metal first. Once you crawl up in there, you should be able to go almost all the way to the very front so move it is afar forward as possible. I'd use probably a 5-6" cleat, you can pick those up for $3.00 probably. Find some stainless steel bolts and use the largest ones that will fit in the pre-drilled holes. Matter of fact, you were looking for somewhere to store stuff on that boat so why not cut a door into it that will allow you to go all the way up and then you can use the cuddy to store the stuff you were concerned about.

the cubby does go all the way to the bow. i might just have to get my younger cousin in there to do it.