Help me find a new shift cable for my boat

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
2004 Stingray 200LX with a Volvo Penta 5.0GL-D 220hp carbed engine. VP SX-M outdrive and a VP control box (shifter.) Saltwater boating.

Today was supposed to be our first day of the season in the water. Well it was.....kinda.

My wife backed the boat in and I started it up just fine. Trouble appeared when I went to put the shifter in reverse. The shifter wouldn't move. It wouldn't go forward either. The shifter was completely locked up. Day ruined :( .

Took the boat home and started working on it. I confirmed that it was a locked up shift cable. In the past, sometimes it was hard to get into reverse but today it was locked up tight. Anyway, I disconnected from both the control box and the outdrive and then pulled on the cable with pliers. It moved out and then I was able to push it back in. I greased it up well on both ends and continued to work the cable in and out. I put everything back together and then readjusted. All appears to be fine and we're hoping for a better boating day tomorrow after church. Yes, I'm going to check the shifter before we leave home.

I'm sure this cable needs to be replaced. I did a search on this forum and found a good bit of info on how to replace this cable but first I need to buy a new one. I went to marinepartsexpress.com and looked at lots of schematics but couldn't find any shift cables. Not only that, but I'm sure that I need a particular length that is specific to my boat. Is there a part number somewhere on my cable that I can read so that I can purchase the proper shift cable before I remove the old cable?

Thanks

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help me find a new shift cable for my boat

Thanks, Don. I'll get back under the control box and see if I can find a number on the shift cable. I'm going to assume that it'll be on the outside casing, right :confused: ?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

For anyone searching this topic, I just wanted to finish this thread out with my final result. I finally removed the original cable in April 2012. Like Don said, there was a number on it and it ended up being 15' long. It was a Teleflex brand "standard" cable.

I replaced it with a new, "premium" Teleflex TF Xtreme cable, 15' long. Got it installed earlier this week and the shifting is now buttery smooth! I should have done this long ago!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for following up on this dannyual. It seems like I always find threads pertaining to my specific problem, but I get to the bottom and there's no final conclusion. My shifting is pretty tight too. Its by no means hard or impossible, but making small throttle adjustments for wakeboarding is pretty tough to do. My father who used to own a boat commented on it also when he drove it. The friction screw made no difference, so I figure I'll order a new cable and get it in sometime. Was it a pretty easy install?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The TF Extreme are the best cables to use. I have replaced mine with those as well.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for following up on this dannyual. It seems like I always find threads pertaining to my specific problem, but I get to the bottom and there's no final conclusion. My shifting is pretty tight too. Its by no means hard or impossible, but making small throttle adjustments for wakeboarding is pretty tough to do. My father who used to own a boat commented on it also when he drove it. The friction screw made no difference, so I figure I'll order a new cable and get it in sometime. Was it a pretty easy install?

Shifting is hard or moving the throttle is hard? Two different things. If shifting is hard, check your drive oil to be sure it is clean and at the right level.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I rev it up in neutral it is very smooth and not sticky at all. Once engaged in forward or reverse, it becomes difficult to make small adjustments.